Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Airhead

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CPT
    Posts
    2,623

    Default Airhead

    Does anyone care to show their versions of this fly. I know of 2 different versions and assume that there may well be more.

    The versions I know of are:

    1) Consult the Favoured Flies and techniques of the experts book, where Gary Glen Young shows his version.
    2) A dry fly hook, dubbed, some deer hair(pointing to the tail) tied in, then thin strip of foam tied in. as shown below in image "AirHead.jpg"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Daryl Human

    The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
    Posts
    8,534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Does anyone care to show their versions of this fly. I know of 2 different versions and assume that there may well be more.

    The versions I know of are:

    1) Consult the Favoured Flies and techniques of the experts book, where Gary Glen Young shows his version.
    2) A dry fly hook, dubbed, some deer hair(pointing to the tail) tied in, then thin strip of foam tied in. as shown below in image "AirHead.jpg"
    Looks pretty interesting. I would imagine it fishing quite well booby style

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CPT
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Looks pretty interesting. I would imagine it fishing quite well booby style
    Hmmm, I never thought of that. I should give it a try. Thanks for the tip
    Daryl Human

    The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sunninghill JHB
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Hi Dizzy, so this is the fly you are going to ty??

    What do you fish it for??

    Do you fish it like a standard dry fly??
    Mike McKeown

    You're either fishing or waiting...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CPT
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    Hi Dizzy, so this is the fly you are going to ty??

    What do you fish it for??

    Do you fish it like a standard dry fly??
    Yip! I use it mainly as a strike indicator, but it immitates an adult caddis, so it catches fish as well.

    On dams I fish it as a standard dry fly, to rising fish.
    Daryl Human

    The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sunninghill JHB
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    I want a couple... I think this is very intresting...

    How small can you tie it??
    How well does it actualy float??
    Mike McKeown

    You're either fishing or waiting...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CPT
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaXiMuM View Post
    I want a couple... I think this is very intresting...

    How small can you tie it??
    How well does it actualy float??
    It floats as well as the foam you use.

    I guess you could tie down to a #16, maybe an #18.
    Daryl Human

    The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sunninghill JHB
    Posts
    2,307

    Default

    Looks a little bulky to tie down to a 16, let alone an 18... give it a go, and update us on what the results were...
    Mike McKeown

    You're either fishing or waiting...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    CPT
    Posts
    2,623

    Default

    What size would you want it in Mike?

    I think I can get it down to a 16, but as you said, 18 is maybe a little small.
    Daryl Human

    The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •