Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Keeping capes dry

A series of pics from OMR I'm looking forward to that
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by IVO View Post
    Hi to all I opened my box where all my capes are kept and what did find. All the capes were moist and full of mildew on the underside, a few mites have also crawled in. Help how do i get them dry again and get rid of the mildew and mites.
    Mites
    To permanently remove/kill mites on the cape, you need to visit a proper health and safety fumigation company. The image below is an extract from South Africa's Directorate of Veterinary Services requirements on what should be done. Also see contact details of company's who will be able to assist you.

Alternatively, place all your capes in a plastic bag, go a common household fumigation company and they can pump pesticide gas into the bag, seal it and let it stand for a few hours. All living mites/insect will be killed - except eggs. Do NOT try this with a flammable gas such as EasyGas, HandyGas or similar - you will have a potential bomb on your hands. You will have to return once again after the eggs have hatched and repeat the process.

Wash
    If you wash the capes, You will then have to use a hair drier (careful not to burn the feathers) to dry the cape - failing this, once dry the feathers will be matted and clumped together. Apply steam over the entire cape and most of the feathers will re-arrange or re-organise itself.

Mildew
    A method would be to remove the mildew with a vinegar damp cloth. Once all removed, then suspend the cape over a heater taking care that you do not burn the feathers/cape. Once completely dry, to rub the skin part with a cloth damp with vinegar. With the sjkin slightly damp/wet from the vinegar, rub in some Borax.

Question Capes

Thank you for the advice .

I was thinking maybe putting them in a bucket of dry salt overnight then hanging them to dry.

Booger Rose Banned User

I've heard somewhere along the lines that it helps to freeze your capes for a few days to kill of mites. Don't know if it wil work, but might be better than Dooming it.

Here is the article that I referred to earlier, some good advice in there.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Good article. I've also heard freezing capes works but hvn't yet tried that option - think there might be a few rumblings from family members going to get a midnight snack in the fridge
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    just hang on a while longer, someone might come up with a quick fix ito the mildew.
    wiping down with a cloth dampened in vinegar can remove mildew & mould

a way of killing off mites it to put the cape in a microwave for 10 seconds or so ... but put a cup of water in as well ... it sometimes causes sparks!!!
    Last edited by Jasper; 11-07-08 at 11:01 AM.
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Advice from my mother when I started fly tying was to grate Liveboy soap and put the shavings with the capes. Up to now (10 years) no problems with mites or fish moths.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2