Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glow in the Dark Flies - any experience?

Talking about the Glow in the dark fly lines, you get a few of them.
    Last edited by Scythe; 10-07-08 at 04:58 PM.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Especially when wearing lumo pink speedos
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Talking about the Glow in the dark fly lines, you get a few of them.
    Rio Leviathan Do, but it doesn't make a real differance, as far as following the line goes. It's the only one I know about, but it is only ment for heavy saltwater fishing, no good for yellows
    There is not a single bad person on earth, only persons that have been badly influenced.

If you would like to be better person, remove the things that have a negative influence on you TODAY.

I'm not an avid night fisher, but I do fish fish after dark from time to time. Lumo flies can be absolute killers on such occassions. I have a little UV torch to recharge the fly when its shine fades. I fished the Waihaha rip at Lake Taupo one evening and caught 5 rainbows between 4 and 7 lbs using a dollfly similar to this one:

If there are likely to be browns about I usually stick with a big dark fly as browns don't tend to take lumo flies much.
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Lumo as in luminescent and not fluo as in fluorescent ? I'd love to see that please. Have you got a link ?
    Luminous ... yes .... I get them in from New Zealand ... also excellent price ...; I will PM you the link
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    Luminous ... yes .... I get them in from New Zealand ... also excellent price ...; I will PM you the link
    I remember those Jasper.

I tied one onto a #10 scud hook with 3 other tngstn beads as a dropper and have managed to get a few fish on it. It has however stopped working so nicely after getting the luminous and orange chipped.

Looking for some of that luminous ink to use in dying some dubbing because then it wont chip.
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Anyone know where one could buy a cheap UV torch, I want one for when I use Knot Sense at night, and UV head cement at night. I don't often get to tie flies and attach leaders during the day.
    everyone is a "guru" these days - re

Quote Originally Posted by Wade View Post
    I tied one onto a #10 scud hook with 3 other tngstn beads as a dropper and have managed to get a few fish on it. It has however stopped working so nicely after getting the luminous and orange chipped.

Looking for some of that luminous ink to use in dying some dubbing because then it wont chip.
    We mostly use Aurora lumo skirt. This is originally designed as a lure skirt but very handy for tying flies. Just cut off a strand and wrap up the body:

Here's some more info on lumo flies:
    http://www.fishingmag.co.nz/trout-lumo-flies.htm
    Life is a series of trout missions with that numbing feeling in between...

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Anyone know where one could buy a cheap UV torch, I want one for when I use Knot Sense at night, and UV head cement at night. I don't often get to tie flies and attach leaders during the day.
    Byron get one of them UV lights from Loon.It sells for about R150.Get ur local to order some from Jandi.It uses 4 (watch)batteries.Very handy little thingy.

G

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12