Thread: Saltwater leaders

1. Default Saltwater leaders

Hi all

Hope you have all had a very merry xmas.

I was wondering what leaders are suitable for targeting leervis and shad?

I have been experimenting with a spectra braid. I thought I had a solution to the shad's sharp teeth. But I got bitten off again today while fighting a shad.

Also how do you construct/dimensions a saltwater leader with a thick monofilament or wire trace?

Regards
    Liam
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Liam

For our local fishing I use straight Mason or Rio Hard Mono in 22 lbs. About two metres is fine. This turns over well and the Elf rarely gets through the stuff.

MC

I prefer mono above wire trace it gives the fly more life. I tried the Hends Direct fly this past weekend for elf on the Berg river at Velddrift, their was a lot of small elf around, and it seems to work. Its something between mono and wire trace.

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    I prefer mono above wire trace it gives the fly more life. I tried the Hends Direct fly this past weekend for elf on the Berg river at Velddrift, their was a lot of small elf around, and it seems to work. Its something between mono and wire trace.
    Hi Brink. We are planning a trip to Velddrift in January. What was the fishing like ? Hey if its really good then i'll drive out this week or next week for a day.

You can call me John, I am told by the locals that the bigger fish will be their about from Feb - Apr. Plan your fishing around the pushing tide, the fish the weekend was 20 - 30cm

6. Default retrieves

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Liam

For our local fishing I use straight Mason or Rio Hard Mono in 22 lbs. About two metres is fine. This turns over well and the Elf rarely gets through the stuff.

MC
    Thanks mc

what retrieves work for you when fishing silicone baitfish? double hand strip or do you slow it down?

Regards
    Liam
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring