Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rietvlei

Angry Rietvlei

Hi

I think here is the reason for the dodgy smells at the top of Milnerton Lagoon

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...048969,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    Hi

I think here is the reason for the dodgy smells at the top of Milnerton Lagoon

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...048969,00.html
    Thanks for the article - ja the place is looking bad.The excessive development in the area over the last 10-15 years has taken its toll.

Shoe it looks hectic!! I saw it on the news last night. Pitty about all the desent fish!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; We grow old because we stop playing!
    ~ George Bernard Shaw ~

yes, that just showed the good fishery it was

I just read the Cape Times article - this is a tragedy - it looks as if the entire springer and mullet population has been wiped out.

I spent some time helping out yesterday morning. What a disaster! They put it down to algae bloom. I don't know so much. This has never happened before......why now all of a sudden?
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

What they need to do is dump bales of old decomposing barley and hay into the vlei. This is the most natural way of braking down the nutrients and restoring the desirable bacteria which feed on ditritus, etc. I mentioned this to the authorities and hope they take it seriously. I have used this method to great success in other stillwaters before, and within two weeks they were clear again. The formula is 10grams per cubit of water.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    What they need to do is dump bales of old decomposing barley and hay into the vlei. This is the most natural way of braking down the nutrients and restoring the desirable bacteria which feed on ditritus, etc. I mentioned this to the authorities and hope they take it seriously. I have used this method to great success in other stillwaters before, and within two weeks they were clear again. The formula is 10grams per cubit of water.
    Hi Chris

If I didn't have to work would have been there helping to clear dead fish.

Did the authorities have any idea of their own as to how they were going to combat the problem?

None at all. They are too engrossed with the problem at hand and not focussing on solutions yet. Obviously the priority is to clear the dead fish, but I would immediately be looking at solutions. There are still thousands of fry in the shallows. I have been trying to get in touch with the top guy with no success. Have left a message for him to phone me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast