Thread: Correct Rod for bass bugs

Default Correct Rod for bass bugs

Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice on the weight rod generally used for casting deer hair bugs on stillwater. I have tried casting an middleweight bug with a WF 6 line on a 5 weight rod but cannot get a half decent presentation. The loop is too big and runs out of steam at the end. The bug then just falls into a heap. (I practise on grass with the end of the hook cut off.)

Thanks

Anton
    PE

8 to 10 wt if you are realy serious, you have a better chance to keep the fish out of cover, and casting bulky bass bugs is a lot easyer. and you are then riged for some saltwater and tigerfishing.
    There is not a single bad person on earth, only persons that have been badly influenced.

If you would like to be better person, remove the things that have a negative influence on you TODAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Antonis View Post
    Hi all,

Does anyone have any advice on the weight rod generally used for casting deer hair bugs on stillwater. I have tried casting an middleweight bug with a WF 6 line on a 5 weight rod but cannot get a half decent presentation. The loop is too big and runs out of steam at the end. The bug then just falls into a heap. (I practise on grass with the end of the hook cut off.)

Thanks

Anton
    PE
    My personal preference is to always fish as light as possible and as heavy as necessary. For me, a 7 weight rod lined up with an 8 wt-fwd floating line strikes the perfect balance between lightness and power necessary to turn over a large deerhair bass bug. My medium actioned Sage RPL 7# 9/0 does the trick for me, not too tippy, therefore able to present at short range, but with enough backbone to unleash a full line if needs be.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Hallo Antonis,Sage developed a fly rod specially for Bass to cast the big bass bugs it is only 7'11" long you can have look on there website it is called the Bass series there are two types one for Large mouth and one for small mouth bass
    Last edited by Igme'; 27-07-08 at 06:21 AM.

HI Antonis,

I use a 8wt slow action rod with a 9wt floating line to get big flies or poppers to where the bass are. Bass fishing is more accuracy fishing than distance casting. 10-20m is ample line out to get to the fish in or around structure.

You and Igme have seen the huge poppers/ flies that I use and getting them into complicated areas where the big bass feed just takes practice at first.

When are we going to try for some? Some nice big bass in close by Loerie Dam.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Hi guys,

I've also got a question. I use a 6-7 weight Elbe with a 6wt Airflo 40plus line, quite simply because I have nothing else. It does work when the bass are around in number, and I still plan to get an outfit more suited to throwing the bigger flies, but I was thinking,has anyone tried to through bass bugs on a 6 or 7wt line on the fly lines specifically designed for large flies? I'm thinking about something like the Rio Clouser lines or something similar.

I know this thread is about the right rod, but wouldn't the right line help the rod perform better?

Kind regards,
    PTN

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Tail Nymph View Post
    Hi guys,

I've also got a question. I use a 6-7 weight Elbe with a 6wt Airflo 40plus line, quite simply because I have nothing else. It does work when the bass are around in number, and I still plan to get an outfit more suited to throwing the bigger flies, but I was thinking,has anyone tried to through bass bugs on a 6 or 7wt line on the fly lines specifically designed for large flies? I'm thinking about something like the Rio Clouser lines or something similar.

I know this thread is about the right rod, but wouldn't the right line help the rod perform better?

Kind regards,
    PTN
    I tend to agree with you PTN. The correct matched line for your rod and for the intended application makes a HUGE difference. And believe me, it is not about buying the most expensive line either, for eg. I have a very expensive Monic Bonefish/Permit WF8F that I bought for my 7wt specifically to target Leeries. Well, what a mistake! The line does not work with the rod! I subsequently learnt that the line was specially formulated for TROPICAL conditions and needs warm water to make it more soft and supple and easy to handle. Cold water makes the line much too stiff and reluctant to fly through the eyes.

Similarly, the correct taper for the type of conditions and size of flies that you intend fishing can make a huge difference to your casting pleasure. A line that worked very well for me for big bass bugs and leerie poppers in windy conditions was the Cortland Delta taper. This line is very similar to a shooting head line with its very quick taper down to a very thin body that cuts through the wind and shoots through the eyes like a dream. I'm not sure if Cortland still make this line, I am going back quite a while.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by flybum View Post
    dave , is that loerie dam just up the road from j-bay ?
    HI Flybum,

Yep, that's it. Some big largemouth bass and bluegills to be caught here on fly. Biggest bass so far is 2.9kg, but plenty so far in the 2kg-2.5kg class.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

9. Default

Sage Bass Series Fly Rods

Click for Larger Image

After working with a small, tight-lipped group of serious bass anglers, Sage developed two new rods that can drop a hair frog or an air-light diver with pinpoint accuracy and hardly a ripple on the water.

From a fly fishing perspective, we’re talking about effortlessly pushing big, wind-resistant bugs into tight quarters.

Available in two models, Smallmouth and Largemouth, both rods measure 7'11", which slides them just under the strict bass tournament rules for rod length.

Additionally, both rods are sold with custom bass taper flylines and a travel case for protection.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by Antonis View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks

Anton
    PE
    try a shorter leader. It might be that the leader is too long, with the big wind resistance fly. Or a slightly different leader construction might also do the trick. I would start with changing the cheapest first, before going to the line and rod. Maybe you should look at bugs that have low wind resistance but "opens" up in the water. Marabou or sparse bunny's comes to mind.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension