Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: River Management

Default River Management

Guys

I've just come back from a trip to the Barkly East / rhodes area for a week's fishing. Had a great time but something I noticed disturbed me muchly.

Many of the rivers are degrading rapidly and are basically fishless. The reasons are many et al:

soil erosion, poaching etc.

I discussed this issue with Dave Walker at Walkerbouts and also with Mario at length (Both WTA members). The farmers are not educated about river management and allow practises such as cattle grazing on river banks (which ultimately results in soil erosion, siltation etc). The WTA charges one R100/day to fish many hundreds of km of river but, in reality, only the upper beats appear to a reliable fishing source. I suggested that the (the WTA) address this issue with a degree of urgency as the fishing there will shrink rapidly and affect tourism to the area.

On my return to Cape Town I read a 1949 issue of the Piscator where Dr Douglas Hey discussed similar issues on our Cape waters. (he was addressing the problem of farming and pollution affecting the lower Eerste river). He put out a call for the anglers to voice their concerns and do something. Ultimately we lost the Eerste, Lourens, Berg, Hex, Wemmer and other rivers through inaction. Ok, I know we won the Witte battle through the good offices of the CPS but I hate to lose another river!

Is there any way we can do something about this degradation of our resource? Can FOSAF do anything? Cape Nature? Maybe those of you with contacts can start talking about this issue and invite some experts to join our forum and debate with us?

Or am I just wasting my time with wishful thinking?

This is really disturbing news Neil. As you mentioned, history has proven that certain rivers have been lost due to complacency, despite continued warnings by concerned individuals like you and me. Perhaps it is time that large organisations like FOSAF start putting their money where their mouth is and start acting on our behalf! Let's rally together and get in touch with the top honcho and ask him what they indend doing about it!

I like your Guru avatar by the way! Welcome back at last!!

[QUOTE=NeilRowe;349]On my return to Cape Town I read a 1949 issue of the Piscator where Dr Douglas Hey discussed similar issues on our Cape waters.

Neil, excuse the cheek, but just maybe I'm not the oldest ballie on the block
    You fellows are right to be concerned about your rivers though. Look at what's happening up here on the Vaal And that is still with the YWG, Keith Wallington, Dirk Human, Eco Care Trust and a lot of others constantly trying to put pressure on DWAF and Rand Water to get their acts together.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Herman

Ive read the article by PJ in the magazine. Shocking. In Rhodes I met a Vaalie in the bar who claimed that there was bilharzia in the Vaal as well!

I'm glad you responded as one of my main concerns is that we take our waters for granted. Once we lose a river it's gone forever and there's nothing sadder than a dead river!

Eco-awareness is the name of the game and the message to pass along

Guys, Fishing has the largest following (all facets) and the greatest numbers of members than any other sport in the country. Surely there must be a National Body that speaks for all the fishermen, irrespective of which facet?
    If all 1 million plus of us can speak with one voice surely the powers that be HAVE to listen
    Can't wait to see the results of the Potch University survey on the Economic impact of pollution on the Vaal between Vaal dam and the Barrage.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Dizzy

Why do you support single moms? Noble cause I'm sure - just curious

Their abilities to handle poles
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

10. Default

Getting back to the thread title:

The CPS is very lucky in the sense that their rivers are under control of the CNC. This, and the KZN Reserves, are the only two Government controlled/assisted areas benefiting from controlled management.

Our water here in Rhodes runs through privately owned land, and getting land owners to join the party is extremely difficult. Many of them probably don't really care, while the rest of them definately does not care.

We need to have proper rehabilitation plans to offer farmers, and make things easier for them. Let's face it, what do they know about river management.

If I had the moola, I would no doubt pilot such a project, but alas, I do not!
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast