Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: How many have you caught.

Default How many have you caught.

I know fishing is not always about catching fish,but i was wondering how many trout or yellowfish you guys think you have caught over the many years you have been fishing. i have been fishing for a year and have caught

15 Trout.
    7 yellows.

Not many but all very rewarding. so come guys how many do you think, Roughly.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

A man is out fishing in Sodwana and catches a huge sailfish. At the end of the day, the boat returns to the dock and the sailfish is hauled off the boat. As this is being done, the man notices a kid fishing off the side of the dock with a couple of minnows in his bucket. The kid looks at the man and says, “Only caught one, huh?”
    Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    I know fishing is not always about catching fish,but i was wondering how many trout or yellowfish you guys think you have caught over the many years you have been fishing. i have been fishing for a year and have caught

15 Trout.
    7 yellows.

Not many but all very rewarding. so come guys how many do you think, Roughly.
    Hi Nic,
    I would say it all depends on the venue. I am a member at Lourensford and there we have a 28 hectare dam and you could average around 5 - 10 trout an outing (3hours). The pools where you should average around 4 trout and a river section where you should catch a minimum of 4/5.
    At Eikendal, my personal best has been 4 trout, but a very good chance of blanking. Although I am watching your Eikendal thread with great interest.

As you say it is not about the number of fish caught, but rather the experience of the day.

Peter.

It is pretty hard to judge and normally I stop counting around 5 or 6 so anything I'd answer would be a serious guestimate. I've caught enough fish to know that its not the fish but the fishing though

As an aside the local benchmark for a "good" fisherman is someone who can catch 5 trout in an afternoon at the local Stocky pond in Pretoria. That is like the holy grail at the moment!!!
    Check your knots!

Talking

I am not a very successfull fisher, but luckaly not nearly as bad as I am at counting
    There is not a single bad person on earth, only persons that have been badly influenced.

If you would like to be better person, remove the things that have a negative influence on you TODAY.

Tough question as no one taught me how to fish, all self taught and my catches improved as my knowledge improved, been fishing for about 25 years now and fly fishing for 17 of those.

When I started fishing for yellows, an awesome day was more than 5 fish, now that’s changed to 50, though I prefer not to fish for numbers anymore, once I caught a few I rather experiment with tactics or change tactics which may focus purely on larger fish.
    Last edited by Gael; 01-08-08 at 09:42 AM.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Gael View Post

When I started fishing for yellows, an awesome day was more than 5 fish, now that’s changed to 50, though I prefer not to fish for numbers anymore, once I caught a few I rather experiment with tactics or change tactics which may focus purely on larger fish.
    Amen !

At the start you'll find yourself into numbers, don't matter what size as long as there are lots of them, just to get yourself inmotion, but after some elaps of time quality is the real prize.

I have set for my self a bag limmet of 10 fish per day, and as I have only 10 to catch, I would like them to be 10 good ones... !
    There is not a single bad person on earth, only persons that have been badly influenced.

If you would like to be better person, remove the things that have a negative influence on you TODAY.

In the two years that I have been fishing I have landed:
    11 x trout (about 5 trips to the triangle)
    2 x muddies. (one afternoon, one fouled and one hookup)

Probably lost 5 or so trout in that same time.

It's not about the number of fish you catch per trip.

It's ALL about the number of trips you've blanked on!
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

In 9 years of fishing for yellows I've blanked three times....it hurt.
    In saying that, one year at Otters I fished the whole week-end catching NOTHING! - on the last day during the last 20 minutes I landed the only fish for the whole week-end, a 5kg largie - it made the whole trip better than the times when I caught 50+ fish over two days.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast