Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower Orange report back

Really nice photos.
    Super trip.
    Have to give it to ANDRE. This guy DO organise super trips.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Smile

My report back is incorperated in my monthly Blog on the Mid Vaal with some photies in the album. Fishing was decent, I struggled for the real big ones and the largies. We had some iffy weather.

There's not a lot of fishing or fish in the photo's because my official photographer developed chickenpox on day 3

Long drive for us, but ti was worth it. I would not go just for the fishing, you have to take more out of such a journey.

3. Default Report back - 3rd to 6th November

Spent four wonderful days on the Orange river from Wildthing camp down to Sjambok rapid. Went on a commercial canoe trip so didn't get to fish as much as I'd have liked to but still got fish a fair amount.

The river was flowing at around 4cumecs, and the visibility was the best I have ever seen it.

Was able to spot a few fish in the shallower runs. The fishing was red hot, predominantely I mono-nymphing, but also caught some fish on dry fly. Was great watching for a gold flash as the fish rolled onto your nymphs. I managed to catch my pb smallmouth yellow and didn't really try for any largemouth yellows but did pick up a couple while nymphing the rapids...

"We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Fish look in fantastic condition, so too the viz.

*drool*

Next time take a streamer, chuck it to structure in the slightly deeper water, after about 3 fish you will say "Mono Nymphing ? Chuck Nymphing ? What's that ?"
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Great report Liam. Got to make a plan and catch some gold...
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

Awesome report Liam !

Andre and I have been having long chats about a specific drift/float session on the Lower Orange River.
    We have now narrowed the time down to round about Easter next year (2009).

This will be an exploratory trip to see the viability for future trips.
    We will be having land bases support vehicles, with all the food, tents, stoves, jacuzzi and showers(you all know Andre and camping)
    On the crocs will only be lunch and drinks, plus all the fishing gear neaded for the day.
    We all ready have a couple of volunteers who wants to share this trip.
    We are looking at taking up to 10 fly fishers. We have a couple of volunteers, but there is space for a a few more. If there is any forumer who wants to join us on this first ever fly fishing specific trip, with full on shore based support team. Post your name.
    This is a non profit trip, just a couple of nice guys or women who want to share a trip and share the costs.

List your name and we will see how many can join us. (it is still a little in the future, and some guys might drop out, it will be good to have a name or 3 spare.)
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Andre and I have been having long chats about a specific drift/float session on the Lower Orange River.
    We have now narrowed the time down to round about Easter next year (2009).

This will be an exploratory trip to see the viability for future trips.
    We will be having land bases support vehicles, with all the food, tents, stoves, jacuzzi and showers(you all know Andre and camping)
    On the crocs will only be lunch and drinks, plus all the fishing gear neaded for the day.
    We all ready have a couple of volunteers who wants to share this trip.
    We are looking at taking up to 10 fly fishers. We have a couple of volunteers, but there is space for a a few more. If there is any forumer who wants to join us on this first ever fly fishing specific trip, with full on shore based support team. Post your name.
    This is a non profit trip, just a couple of nice guys or women who want to share a trip and share the costs.

List your name and we will see how many can join us. (it is still a little in the future, and some guys might drop out, it will be good to have a name or 3 spare.)
    Sounds great Korrie. Let's see how the new boy'tjie behaves before I leave SWAMBO alone for a couple of days
    Last edited by Rendier; 10-11-08 at 01:37 PM.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rendier View Post
    Great report Liam. Got to make a plan and catch some gold...
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunF View Post
    Awesome report Liam !
    Thanks guys

I can really reccomend getting up there asap. The flow & vis is perfect.... You can czech, mono & indicator nymph as well as throw streamers and dries with the river in its current condition. Its a pity I did not spend any time targeting LM's.... I'm sure I would have been rewarded.
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Booger Rose Banned User

Hi Corrie, this sounds like my kind of trip, please list my name. I need about six months to organise a babysitter etc.

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast