Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Lower Orange report back

Belated but never mind. Here is proof that there are very big smallies in the Richtersveld strip and that sometimes the baities beat us

There were bigger fish caught. This was day 5 no special bait but 5 day old brown bread

I Noticed that the Gariep dam is overflowing for the first time in 3 years.
    The knock on effect futher down stream can stuff up fishing, Richters veld etc for the next couple of months.
    There goes the Richtersveld drift. Well Maybe.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    I Noticed that the Gariep dam is overflowing for the first time in 3 years.
    The knock on effect futher down stream can stuff up fishing, Richters veld etc for the next couple of months.
    There goes the Richtersveld drift. Well Maybe.
    Well, the Van der Kloof dam is at 85%, so the water comming over the Gariep, will spill over the Van der Kloof in no time, and reach the Richtersveld in two weeks time. Vioolsdrift is currently at 20 cumecs, and Brandkaros, is at 340 cumecs. the only inflow between the two, is the Fish River, so unless the Fish is in flood, (which I am not aware of), there could be a measuring problem (Brand karos has been unreliable in the past). If it is all correct, the next two weeks at De Hoop will be epic. The yellows tend to go mad before a spike, and literally jump onto anything in the water that has the slightest possibility of being food. I will be there in about a week time, so I will let you know.

Saw on the news last night,bluddy hell 81m high walls/sluices

Edit:

"The Gariep Dam is 88m high (90.5m above foundation level), with a crest length of 914m and contains approximately 1.73 million m3 of concrete. It is situated in a gorge at the entrance to Ruigte Valley some 5km east of Norvalspont. It is a combined gravity and arch dam built entirely of concrete.

Since the gorge at the dam site is too wide to allow a complete arch, only the central portion is arched. The two concrete flank walls were needed to form artificial gravity abutments for the main arch. The dam is a double curvature structure i.e. it is shaped like an egg shell making it one of the most impressive and aesthetically appealing dams in South Africa."

Default More info

The Gariep Dam (formerly known as the Hendrik Verwoerd Dam) forms the largest storage reservoir on South Africa with a total storage of approximately 5 500 million m3 and a surface area of more than 370 km2 when full.

The dam is the central structure of the original Orange River Project which involves the supply of water to parts of the Vaal, Fish and Sundays catchments as well as to irrigation along the Orange river itself.

Ok, new information...the reading at Brandkaros is correct. the Fish river is in flood. Hectic, apparently the bridge over the Fish/Orange confluence, is gone..again. The pont at Senelingsdrift is out of commission due to high water. The section above the Fish confluence is still at about 15 to 20 cumecs. There is a window of opportunity of less than two weeks, for some epic fishing. Anyone want to join me.

The Van der Kloof dam wall is 109m high.It is a magnificent sight.We have been on the dam when it was 80% full and there were areas the fish finder registered over 98m deep.It is built amongst high cliffs and koppies and we have been in the boat about 20m from the side and registered depth was 70m.I believe that at the tail where the Orange enters the dam +-140 from the wall is a waterfall and some amazing yellowfish water.

Due to exceptionally good reports comming through from guys who have recently been up to the Orange, and predicted low flows for the next couple of months, I have decided to, once again, get myself up there.
    I will be taking my boys, for a few days of "mindless yellow bashing"
    We leave on Saturday5 Dec, and return on the 11th.
    I have space in the car for 1 passenger. Anyone want to join, let me know, so I can extend the camping arrangments.
    Warning...it is murderously hot up there at the moment, so be prepared for a hard core trip.
    Disclaimer.... none of my posts are intended to be "expert advice"..just opinions from someone who is willing to help where he can.

Oh how I wish I could go along If only I didn't have to work

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast