Thread: Another Ant question!

Default Another Ant question!

I never came across a recipe for a flying ant pattern before (the “rysmier” kind) and most bait fisherman if asked will rank them under the top 5 bait forms to use. Has anyone seen/tied/experimented with a pattern for this insect before? Or should we except that it is so ineffective that no one bother tying them?

Default Ants

My theory is that the baities use whatever is easy to collect or available. They do use a shrimp often on the Vaal, but I've never heard of any fishing caddis larvae.

I have never come accross a good hatch of them on the Vaal, but I suppose the fish would be fiarly selective if they do end up on the water. You can try chumming with pieces of termite mound placed upstream .

On Sterkies the only ants I have come across were the small black flying ant. They certainly get the fish locked into a very selective feeding pattern. For those I suggest the CDC ant found here http://www.danica.com/flytier or under one of Mario's links. With these it pays to go as sparse as possible, they are small size 18, with only the slightest impression of wings.

I do have some temite patterns, but they are serious tippet twisters with those long wings.

SWEET - thanks guys, will have a look at all the patterns and try to tie some for experimentation! Chris is also going to send some patterns so might end up having a whole separate box of flies for all the ant patterns

Quote Originally Posted by thrisss View Post
    SWEET - thanks guys, will have a look at all the patterns and try to tie some for experimentation! Chris is also going to send some patterns so might end up having a whole separate box of flies for all the ant patterns
    My momma used to say:"life is like a box of flies, you never know what they gonna refuse next!"

The bait guys do actually fish with caddis larvae and pupae - it's been a fav in UK since before Uncle Izaak's time, but agree unsure how popular it is here.

Termite imitations - I think they generally start their 'wedding nuptials' next month. My short-term project is also to try tie a non-tippet-twister! I know fish do enjoy them when they're swarming all over the place - I guess you just need ensure your's is the one of thousands they go for, so maybe an extra 'trigger' like fluo yellow ribbing or something might stand out?

I've been thinking From experience the fish (trout and yellows) are right on the surface, mouths open and feeding like whales do. So to get into them one has to get a accurate cast right into the path of the fish. We cannot compete with 100s with one floating immitation.

On the wings, I reckon as sparse as possible. The spent flies gives very little impression of wings on the water - few strands of flash or white cdc.
    Carl

A flying ant (rysmier) fall on the Vaal is true mayhem. All species abandon caution to cash in. This usually happens at dusk, and the bugs create a lot of disturrbance on the surface. Any large dry fly will work, especially if it can push a lot of water. I like fishing a DDD on a constant hand twist retrieve, the yellows come bow waking in after it!

On YF's comment, I have used caddis and dragonfly larvae as bait, it works so-so. I also know of old folk in the Klerksdorp area who used to chop down a whole termite mound and deposit this at the top of a riffle. For the next day or so they would clean up on the yellows in the chum line!
    Last edited by armand; 21-02-07 at 12:05 PM. Reason: add