Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flies tied per fish caught.....

Default Flies tied per fish caught.....

Hi Guys......whilst tyin up a few flies last night for the upcoming salt season,i got thinking into what do you expect to get from a fly....1 maybe 2 fish.i supose this could be a general question but we all know the salt is much harder on flies than freshwater species... (except maybe tigers.... )

i was specifically tyin zonker tails on these flies.it is a pattern that brought leroy alot of success up the coast but he noted that even the leeries destroy the tail.

we all know what tough going it is in the salt and i would be happy if i land one decent fish on each flie i tie.....

whats the rest of the feelings out there?
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

With the way we are fishing at the moment we dont need to worry about fish destroying the fly's.....

Seriously, i have found that generally one large fish per fly, then it looks very second hand. For the smaller ones a few fish before the fly looks tatty (and i am only using my limited leerie experience here)

Thanks for that contribution....nice to have your views expressed again.....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

A fish that really destroys flies is an elf. This season I want to catch BIG leeries they have been pestering me for to long.

yea i'd also be a bit hesitant to venture an answer here as my saltwater flies have been left pretty much alone for a while by the fish. they suffered more from hitting the beach or the rocks you'll have to wait for the manne to give input....
    cheers
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

As you say SW, salty critters are much harder on fly's than the fresh water cousins.

From a salt water fly if i get one or two fish i am happy. However, when it comes to the Vaal i have had two fly's (point and dropper) last the entire day and then go back into my box after being dried out ready for the next trip. I currently have a fly in my box (Mustard Caddis) that I used for three consecutive trips and still looks good.

But i fully agree that salty crackers are ruff on the fly's and these need replacing regularly (unless you have a trip like my sunshine coast trip - I did not need to retie any flies after a week of fishing - No fish)
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Yes Roland, I also have a few one eyed clousers ... I am going for the injured imitation look

Answering on "Flies tied per fish caught"... probably 0.002 fish per fly tied then

Don't know if it's only me but i lost 1 or 2 flies per day fishing between the rocks last weekend. sometimes it was on the first cast so i guess it has never even been seen by a fish. Also I carry a few flies in my vest for easy access and they tend to get a bit worn after a day or so which i throw in the "old flies just for incase" box at home which mean they will probably never see the coast again. Then Ive got a foam popper that has caught four leeries and three shad. No signs of eyes left and two or three seriously deep cuts from shad razors. luckily most of the tail is still in tact so i keep on using it.

On the other side of things, if i have a few used flies which are easy'ish to tie like clousers or charlies i will usually replace them with new ones before i go on a trip. Haven't been tying flies for too long so every now and again I also feel the early ones are a bit inferiour so they go and i start again wit a new batch.
    Vow not to stop until i've got a kingfish, but then gentlemen... it has just begun...

I have a # 10 dryfly (Renagade) that I have cought 27 yellows with in one day, it's on a well deserved pension.........
    There is not a single bad person on earth, only persons that have been badly influenced.

If you would like to be better person, remove the things that have a negative influence on you TODAY.

Default flies vs fish

Offshore I have an average of about 1 fish for every 20 flies tied
    I always tie more flies than I fish
    my experimental flies I tie in 3's but the "old favories " I tie in sets of 8

Its happened to me that we found fish that were loving pink clousers and we only had two on the boat and after 4 fish no more pink and they refused everything else
    hence the over stocking

My average for flies actualy fished is 1 fish for every 5 flies
    all my flies have the barb squashed and all my new flies are tied on circles

More specificaly flies fished vs landed fish

Snoek: 4flies:1 fish
    I loose a few in the kelp/anchor lines
    using a 9wt the fly is toast after one fish (using a 12 wt is easier on the flies).
    I have been bitten off as well I normaly use wire but if the fish are fussy I go back to flouro

Yellowtail:5flies :1 fish
    here I loose or damage flies trying to cast quickly to surface fish
    the main culprits being deck railings,outriggers,the odd slow ghille and myself (man an 8/0 hurts lucky it was de-barbed )
    I get broken up on reef and motor legs

Katonkel 1 fly :2-3 fish
    These are one of the most underrated fly quarry in the cape they are fast and hungry !!
    there teeth destroy a fly but fortunatley they are not that fussy and will eat a damaged fly .

longfin tuna : 1:1 this helps my average as im usualy rigged for yellow fin and in deep water so I ususaly get my fly back

yellowfin tuna 25:1
    lets not get started here but lets just say i would tie 100 flies if it meant 1 fish

over all im happy with my average even if it is on the low side

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast