Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Anodised Tungsten Beads

Wiets Banned User

Default Anodised Tungsten Beads

My supplier have just introduce tungsten beads in a range of anodised colours - similar to the fancy
    colours available in anodised aluminium. According to them, it is a world first and they developed this
    technology during the past 2 years. What are your thoughts about this. Regret, no pictures as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiets View Post
    My supplier have just introduce tungsten beads in a range of anodised colours - similar to the fancy
    colours available in anodised aluminium. According to them, it is a world first and they developed this
    technology during the past 2 years. What are your thoughts about this. Regret, no pictures as yet.
    Up to know I have not had any problems with Tungsten Beads oxiding/rusting/discoloring.
    The colors that are popular are gold, black, red, orange, green are freely available.
    What will the costs be of the anodised beads? What benefits are there, using these beads?
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Coloured tungsten beads I have used thus far have all chipped of pretty quickly.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Anodizing is much tougher in the scratch department. Natural anodizing show marks quicker, but last longer. Not sure about colour fastness of anodizing. Should be good, but would really depend on the aplication.
    Rudolph
    No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance.
    Confucius

If the colour sticks to the beads longer with anodized beads then this would be a real advantage when nymphing waters like the vaal.
    "So here’s my point. Don’t go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish that’s dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Anodizing will keep it's colour almost indefinately. Unlike most coating which can chip, anodizing is an electro/chemical process that actually changes the surface properties of the aluminium. The ally goes in a chemical bath and electricity passes through it. During the process the aluminium oxidizes, like rust and then the appropriate dye is added for colour. In most cases anodizing actually makes the surface of the aluminium harder. Most common place to see it is on aluminium window frames used in most homes and offices. Should last a lifetime really.
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

I would be very interested as u know in 4mm Hot orange and Salmon pink.

G

Wiets Banned User

Like Jason says, anodising is a far superior and hardy surface than paint coated or powder coated tungsten beads. Another advantage would be the sheer number of colours available in anodised beads compared to curent conventional colours. There are 22 different colours available in conventional coloured tungsten beads, anodising offers another potential 36 colours - although some colours are very similar and one would certainly not obtain all the available colours. In addition, these colours are not available in current and conventionally coloured tungsten beads. The cost of the anodised beads are exactly the same as the normal tungsten beads - starting at 93 cents each. Here is a picture of all the anodised colours - as can be seen from this picture, bead chains are also available.

Last edited by Wiets; 12-08-08 at 11:10 PM.

Hi Wiets,

Will this be available locally at some time shortly ?

Cheers
    John

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by J Brink View Post
    Hi Wiets, Will this be available locally at some time shortly ? Cheers John
    Hi John

I myself just learned about these new colours. I'm trying to get a feel for what others think about them before making a decision to bring them in. The problem is that one has to carry reasonable stock of selected colours in just about all the available sizes. This can easily be worth a couple of hundred grand tied up in materials - then you have stock of one kind of material!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.