Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Blakes Beach

Default Blakes Beach

Hi Guys

I notice that us salt guys (sout p**lle) are being left behind in the discussion stakes. Maybe that is because we are on the water.

I spent Saturday on the water at Blakes. The wind was a little harsh but manageable. I dont know whether it is just because it is a little early but it was very hard work. Each time I tried a new fly I would get a follow and a few bumps but then nothing. The leeries are definately there but are just not keen enough to bite.

My question is is there a specific leader construction, fly pattern that works at this time? I am doing the same things as at the end of last season when I was caning the fish. Some wise insights would be apreciated.

Hi mikeh

What worked for me begining of last season was to slow down my retrieve and not to change flies that often. I tried alot of "new" flies tied off-season, but the old family favorites(Flipper and Crease Flies) still came trough time after time,stick to the ones you believe in!Leader stayed the same through the season. Worked for me!

did you try any salty buggers, that use to wrok for me. how big are the fish ?

Bokoms and J Brink

Thanks for the replies, I will definately try those suggestions over the weekend.

A disturbing development is that I picked up the Helderberg news yesterday and they have an article in the polluted water. Apparently there is a problem with the line from Greenways through to Deep blue. The people swimming over the weekend at Melkbaai, (to the right of Blakes) all developed a nasty rash. I have had problems in the past with surfing after storms in polluted water so was not about to repeat the process. Went to the Quack this morning and given a clean bill of health.

The warning though is dont o in too deep and try at all costs not to ingest any of the water.

Hi mikeh

Just a quick word; tried a Flipper yesterday afternoon and it didn't work, tied on a self tied Pencil Popper and the fish responded, bagged 5 juvinile ones at Blakes with a Floating Line, ox Leader, 7 Kg tippet, Popper(on a Circle hook) and slow to medium double hand retrieve.

Bokoms
    Sounds promising. I popped out this morning for an hour at 5:00 but the tide was still too high to get out. Had some casting practice off the pipe. The fishing looks good for the weekend but I have to opt out. SWAMBO had a haircut on her odometer so I am nursing the patient at home. If you get anything let me know.

Default Blakes

Hi Mike - sorry for the late reply here is my contact details:

021 9489972
    juanjb@iafrica.com

I suggest keep your leader as short as possible and go for big fly's – 4/0 – 8/0 –

Give me shout.

Juan

did you try a clouser. last season i caught maasbanker and leeries on a white and pink clouser

Mikeh and Bokoms- where abouts exactly have you guys had the takes/ caught the leeries at Blakes? Im keen to go and wet a line there after work this week and was hoping to be pointed in the right direction. I have usually fished next to the pier (north side) and south of Surfside. Have tried the reefs to the right of the pier as well. Your local knowledge would be a great help!

Kevin
    It is heavily dependant on the tide. At low the best bet is on the right of the slipway you can walk out over the rocks to cast into the channel. I have also had some lesser interest on the rocks on the left of the swimming pool. On the spring low I have been out to the end of the ledge in front of Greenways but it is a long way out and many areas you need to swim to get to the spot. A bit hairy if you are by yourself.

At high tide I will usually try off Blakes beach itself, off the concrete pier or from the beach.

The bottom line is any were you can get as far out into the channel as possible. I am stuck for this evening but if you are keen give me a shout ( number in profile)and we can meet up. Juan, if you read this I am sure you don't need an excuse. I must just check the tides.

Page 1 of 45 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast