Thread: Saltwater leaders

Default Saltwater leaders

Hi Guys

I am heading to Kosi bay at the end of the month and need some leader advice . Normally here in the South Coast area i just buy the saltwater tapered leaders . i am looking to tie some heavier leaders for Kosi . What formula is best i am thinking of using 50:25:25 .What strength of lines must use for leader construction ? I was looking at 40lb for butt or so and not sure of the rest , I will be fishing a 9 weight rod . Also what knots are best to use ?loop to loop for but sections and not sure of the rest . Your advise is greatly appreciated
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

What tackle (wt rods) are you fishing and what species are you chasing?

9 weight setup and species will mainly be Wave Garrick , Shad and the likes of . A GT of any size will do also
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    9 weight setup and species will mainly be Wave Garrick , Shad and the likes of . A GT of any size will do also
    Sorry missed the 9 wt part of your post...

I like to keep things as simple as possible.

Fishing for species like wave garrick I normally use a 9 ft 0x tapered leader to which I would add a 10-15pd maxima or fluoro shock tippet of about 50cm. As you deplete this with changing flies or hopefully 'cause of fish abrassion, you can simply replace the section again.

Otherwise I construct my own:butt of 40lb(1m), 30lb(80cm), 10-15lb(70cm). Turns the flies over nicely.

For GT"s, eish, 12wt 100lb straight.

No need to complicate stuff, you are not going to make delicate presentations, on the 9wt straight 8 - 10 kilo for kingfish (nothing les) for the pompano you may use 6-7 kilo as a tippet attach to the 10 or so KG straight leader NOTHING LESS !! Giants-12 wt nothing les than straight 16 kilo, 40 lbs best, I use straight 65 lbs, leaders should be as long as the rod or shorter..

Hope this helps (you are going to fish the surf ne ? )
    There is not a single bad person on earth, only persons that have been badly influenced.

If you would like to be better person, remove the things that have a negative influence on you TODAY.

Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post

Hope this helps (you are going to fish the surf ne ? )
    Yeah will be shore based fishing

Now I have never fished for GT's...yet, but from what I have seen is that they have very sparse teeth a,d you should not be worried about them biting you off, however I will worry about those sharp tail schutes, they will chave a leader very quickly.

Fishing for leeries I will step down 2 maybe 3 leader types, 15 - 10 - 9kg this turns over the flies lekker.

I also do NOT use loop to loop connections, it just causes tail wrap when casting as it creates a hinge in your leader, my personal view anyway, I have found this did not happen when I started to knot my leaders.

For those GT's I will fish atlease 50 - 75cm of HEAVY shock tippet.
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

The leader setup is one of those areas where you either fish IGFA or you don't.
    IGFA is cut and dried as to what you are allowed to do and what you are not, so that's a simple answer right there.

Non conventional leaders are pretty much whatever you choose to use, bearing in mind there has to be some sort of a taper to get the fly to ultimately turn over. Most guys fish small flies anyway (5/0 and under), so I don't think there will be too much of a drama in getting a small fly to turn over with difficulty.
    Although having said that, there are a few that use 100 pound straight mono leaders from flyline for GT's and a few other fish. Buggered if I know why they don't just fish handlines ..... those heavy leaders it's not flyfishing...... but that's beside the point.
    Whatever makes your day I guess.

From my perspective, a 9 weight setup would be flyline to stiff 50/60lb butt connected to a length of 40 pound mono with a loop at the end. From this you can configure almost any weight tippet you want. With a 9, you would find a 20 pound is more than sufficient, unless of course you are chasing GT's where you will need at least 100 pound leaders! (Sarcastic smirk!)
    Generally though, between 6 and 8 kg would be plenty for the target species you are wanting to chase. Shad, go as light as 4 kg with a good bite tippet and it's a whole ball of fun. Wave garrick won't be needing much more. If you are worried go straight 10kg and enjoy the ride!

You may want to go as high as 30 pound mono tippets if unsure (bearing in mind most fly lines break at about 40 odd pounds unless you are fishing the awesome RIO lines) and if you feel that way inclined, and use a shock - realistically, you'd be pretty unlucky to be destroyed on this setup up there.

In all sincerity, learn good knots and learn to tie them well.
    Bimini and some form of lock knot to tie shocks if you use them. Honestly, I don't believe there are too many fish that will destroy you on this particular set up in that area......even off shore if you chase 'couta and if lucky a sailfish.

Good luck mate.
    Last edited by Kevin James; 12-08-08 at 03:59 PM. Reason: just adding some shit to the post

My leader setup esp for leeries is a section of 35/40lb with a bimini looped to my flyline connection.....then just a section of 20lb floro to that.....worked so far....

I dont know what effect the bimin will have on other spevies where the take isnt as agressive as a leerie......i cant see it causing any problems......Any comments on this
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    My leader setup esp for leeries is a section of 35/40lb with a bimini looped to my flyline connection.....then just a section of 20lb floro to that.....worked so far....

I dont know what effect the bimin will have on other spevies where the take isnt as agressive as a leerie......i cant see it causing any problems......Any comments on this
    I only use biminis on the lightest part of Igfa leaders (class tippet)
    The reason is that no matter what knot you tie in your 60# butt sction its going to be stronger than your tippet
    So there is nothing wrong with using one its just a pain to tie

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG