Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Questionable off season activities by certain Cape anglers?

Default Questionable off season activities by certain Cape anglers?

An extract from a recent CPS newsletter reads as follows.

The closed season and some questionable activities of some of our anglers.

The closed season, is as I am sure you are all aware no longer a matter of the law, which it actually used to be many moons ago with designated trout rivers throughout the country under separate regulation. However the CPS in conjunction with the department of Nature Conservation have always maintained this window of R and R for the trout on our streams. It is important to do so, this is when the fish are breeding and given that we no longer stock the streams, such activity is all important, along with the catch and release management system if we are to keep the fishery in good health.

Most people, and that includes some old hands who used to claim “that it’s not really fishing if you can’t take a frying pan with you”, have come to see that the management of the steams has in fact improved the sport despite the increased utilisation and if there was only one negative it is that the fishing gets harder as a result and the fish get smarter. Perhaps the fact that the closed season offers some respite to the fish and that they get just a tad less wary after being left alone for a few months is an additional plus.

Which is why I find myself so concerned that rumour, and some fairly hard evidence, suggests that there are those out there who are determined to flaunt the rules and if not the rules precisely at least the spirit of them. Claims that “this section of the river” is under the control of the “roads department” for example, or that the CPS don’t control this section are all red herrings in my book, and self serving and unilaterally selfish views which are not in line with the spirit of angling in the Cape.

Here we are fussing about the eradication of trout as an alien species and all manner of worries about Rotenone projects and the like but there are some anglers who are happy to get out their and annoy and further educate the fish during their breeding cycle whilst most of us stay indoors, tie flies and accept that a break is necessary for both the fish and the angler.

To my mind I don’t really care if the waters are on public, private or roads department sections, it doesn’t really matter to me even if the society doesn’t control certain sections or certain rivers. The fish are breeding over this period and the little fish that such activity produces, in case it should escape you, are the ones that grow up to be the bigger fish that we all enjoy catching later on.

For my money I hope that the society will investigate these activities and take action against those who seem happy to flout the rules or the spirit of sensitive angling.

If you are one of the transgressors here, I would suggest to you that fishing during the closed season is an act of complete selfishness and you should very carefully consider if you honestly believe that it is reasonable to do so when others with as much passion and desire to go fishing abide by the regulations for the benefit of us all.

I hope that the ultimate penalty will be along the lines of the biblical eye for an eye, that is to say when you are “in flagrante delicto” I really do hope that you will be constantly interrupted.. seems very equitable punishment that...

Tim

I'd like to hear the views of the members of this forum in this regard
    Last edited by Kingfisher; 19-08-08 at 06:52 AM.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    The fish are breeding over this period and the little fish that such activity produces, in case it should escape you, are the ones that grow up to be the bigger fish that we all enjoy catching later on.
    Morning Fred.

Tsk tsk - shame on those law-breakers

My understanding of this is that the streams that were unlawfully fished are anything but accessible to all. Maybe just a touch of sourness for not having access to these waters??

For my money I hope that the society will investigate these activities and take action against those who seem happy to flout the rules or the spirit of sensitive angling.
    The spirit of fly fishing applies to much more than seasonally bound "restrictions". I for one do fish rivers and streams in winter, as our streams and rivers dictate year-round spawning and breeding (a fact I have mentioned on more than once occasion here).

If giving the fish a break is what it's all about, then I'm sure the streams that were fished in winter have MORE than their fare share of rest, since they are mostly inaccessible by 90% of the anglers.

I really do hope that you will be constantly interrupted.. seems very equitable punishment that...
    Now THAT'S the spirit of fly fishing!!
    Last edited by smallstreams.co.za; 19-08-08 at 07:59 AM.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I'm with Tim here although I don't agree with the breeding part.

The season is long enough, and out of season there are plenty of stillwaters to fish.
    Its less about breeding or resting fish and more about the spirit of the law.
    Fishing either side of beat 1 or 6 is just not cricket.
    However, if fishing non-CPS waters with the necessary permissions I see no harm.
    Another point to consider is that some of these guys are CPS committee members, who should be setting an example, rather than pushing their luck on stream "X" and then bragging about it.
    Regards
    Craig

Ive got a feeling this is going to cause problems....
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swsmith View Post
    Ive got a feeling this is going to cause problems....

You bring the popcorn i've got the beer.

While none of this maybe in the "spirit of Flyfishing" there is not a lot we can do if people choose to fish these waters in the winter as has been said they are not breaking the law.
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    However, if fishing non-CPS waters with the necessary permissions I see no harm.
    That is exactly what was done.

Another point to consider is that some of these guys are CPS committee members, who should be setting an example, rather than pushing their luck on stream "X" and then bragging about it.
    This sort of does link with the above - they are CPS members, and they are setting a prime example of not fishing CPS waters during the closed season. And by getting the required permission they are setting an even further good example of how it should be done.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Default Offseason

I agree with Tim, but was blown out of the water last time I brought this up.

If the waters are accessible to 10% of the anglers out there, the sport is growing exponentially and no more stocking is going to take place it’s pretty much a moot point. Who cares if there is no official breeding season? To use a rather crude simile, there was a baby boom 9 months after all the load shedding; the fish need time to relax and shag.

I feel quite strongly that one shouldn't fish off-season, and if you think you are above the law and do it, then DEFINATELY don't talk about it in a public forum. It’s just not cool

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    That is exactly what was done.

This sort of does link with the above - they are CPS members, and they are setting a prime example of not fishing CPS waters during the closed season. And by getting the required permission they are setting an even further good example of how it should be done.

I AGREE 100% Mario ... and I happen to know the "transgressors" well .. they are THE most ethical and conservation-conscious anglers!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Craig, all due respect boet, but in light of your above comment I feel that it is necessary for me to stand up in defense of the angler because it was me who inadvertantly let the cat out the bag, something I truly regret! If anyone is to take the can for the whole fiasco involving three anglers who went off to explore distant streams that do not fall under CPS control, let it be me. It was my initiative in the first place, not so much from a fishing point of view but more from an exploratory point of view. Ok, so a lovely fish was caught in the process, which is something that again I regret having ever mentioned, but bragging about it was never the intention! The reason behind my post was to raise the concern about the alarming discovery that we made concerning a brace of dead fish. This concern was unfortunately not shared by as many guys as those who chose to rather use the information to speculate wildly as to where we were actually fishing! I now realise more and more how little one can actually share on Flytalk, ...and this includes private discussions amongst 'friends'. From now on mums the word, you guys aint getting jack out of me, so please, no disrespect to any of you, but please don't bother asking, not even by pm. If any of you want to discover new waters, I suggest you go do your own groundwork.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

And so we loose a wealth of info from this member......Im not happy.I had lots of questions for Chris...now i have to wonder if he will answer them for me.
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast