Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Latest #5 tests

Default Latest #5 tests

Recently there was a thread about #5 tested in the USA
    The Sage Z-axis won.

The New Guideline rods have subsequently been launced.
    Saw this article while having some spare time.
    Have any of you had any experience with the Guideline rods.
    It is about a 30% of the premium rods prices, and if it kicked but, it must be a very nice piece of equipment

May 2008
    The Guideline 9ft - 5wt fly rod has been judged the best 9ft rod by Trout and Salmon Magazine in their May issue. This was against Hardy, Loomis, Sage and many more. Try out the rod at Bessy Beck before you purchase.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Recently there was a thread about #5 tested in the USA
    The Sage Z-axis won.

The New Guideline rods have subsequently been launced.
    Saw this article while having some spare time.
    Have any of you had any experience with the Guideline rods.
    It is about a 30% of the premium rods prices, and if it kicked but, it must be a very nice piece of equipment

May 2008
    The Guideline 9ft - 5wt fly rod has been judged the best 9ft rod by Trout and Salmon Magazine in their May issue. This was against Hardy, Loomis, Sage and many more. Try out the rod at Bessy Beck before you purchase.
    These tests are always dodgy...depends on the testers casting ability, preference on action by that particular caster, his preference on looks, price, brand name, line used, reels used, conditions, etc etc.

Its always the best to try the rods out for oneself...whats nice for one, is not nice for another. I may like a fast action rod, others may like medium action rods, and so forth. Shootouts are a good starting point, but always to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Tom Sutcliffe said the (local) Horizon rod was "the best rod he has ever casted in its class"...who agrees with that? Or does someone say Sage or G.Loomis is better than Horizon rods? Just because someone says its best, does not mean it actually is...or that you would think the same.

PS: The guideline rods are made in Sweden, and the price tag is not much less than the big brands anyway.

Default Rod Testing Idea

What they should do is get a couple of relative newbies, chuck on a big walkers killer and a medium priced line. Give them 10 minutes to practice with each rod and then they do 10 casts at an object, rods get rated on accuracy, distance and how many stuff-ups they made in those 10 casts, then divide by a price factor.

That'll give newbies an indication of a good value rod, by the time they want a second they should know how important it is to test the things themselves.

I only know this because I bought a great rod for R600 (Explorer Classic 2/3 weight). The other day I was at a local shop to upgrade as I ’m a bit of a brand snob, I took a rod out to cast that costs R4000 and thought it was junk (for my casting style, with my line).
    U now how much beer (or waders, or a fishing trip) u can buy for R3400!

Quote Originally Posted by FastAction View Post
    Tom Sutcliffe said the (local) Horizon rod was "the best rod he has ever casted in its class"...who agrees with that? Or does someone say Sage or G.Loomis is better than Horizon rods?
    Read "IN IT'S CLASS"! Almost like comparing apples with apples
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I shall refrain…
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Also depends how many in its class? 1? 2?
    I have heard some reports about the Horizon #3 that you had to line it up 2 weights heavier and that it could be used as a broom stick.

Personally, I think the time has arrived, as mentioned in a earlier thread, that we start evaluating product on this forum.
    Get a set of criteria drawn up.
    We need to have a team in the Cape and one in Gauteng, Durban maybe as well. Because styles and waters differ.

It will be interesting to see how the results vary from province to province.

I deliberatly posted this test to see who will pick up that the one test was in the UK and the other in the USA. The way, waters, style and leaders is different on both sides of the Atlantic. So maybe the rod preferences differ.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)

Also depends how many in its class? 1? 2?
    I have heard some reports about the Horizon #3 that you had to line it up 2 weights heavier and that it could be used as a broom stick.

Personally, I think the time has arrived, as mentioned in a earlier thread, that we start evaluating product on this forum.
    Get a set of criteria drawn up.
    We need to have a team in the Cape and one in Gauteng, Durban maybe as well. Because styles and waters differ.

It will be interesting to see how the results vary from province to province.

I deliberatly posted this test to see who will pick up that the one test was in the UK and the other in the USA. The way, waters, style and leaders is different on both sides of the Atlantic. So maybe the rod preferences differ.
    Leaving out the Eastern Cape was thoughtful ...
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    Leaving out the Eastern Cape was thoughtful ...
    I thought that you would be part of the Cape team.
    Travel to the Cape, stay over at my house and fish the Cape Streams while you are here, busy with the tests
    Korrie Broos

But the otherside Mario, you would only rate the Sage 000
    Korrie Broos

I thought that you would be part of the Cape team.
    Travel to the Cape, stay over at my house and fish the Cape Streams while you are here, busy with the tests
    I was thinking of including people like Fred and Tony, not only myself really.
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast