Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guinea fowl neck feathers

Default Guinea fowl neck feathers

Good day all. Summer is almost hear and cant wait for some vaal action.
    Just a quick one. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on some Guinea fowl neck feathers. I am in the Jo'burg area but will pay for postage to get the feathers to me.

Klap a guinea fowl ... we are infested with them!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

I have a guineafowl neck cape off the first guineafowl i've ever hunted...what patterns does one use this material for? I have no idea, i was simply going to tie little killer patterns.
    High up on the neck the feathers change from having spots to little bars...
    You might struggle to get these off the domestic guineas that one sees around as they often have uniform dark necks, being of west- african origin...

Jasper, you are SUCH a farmer...

Appreciating any suggestions you all have for flies from these feathers...

Quote Originally Posted by clarias View Post
    I have a guineafowl neck cape off the first guineafowl i've ever hunted...what patterns does one use this material for? I have no idea, i was simply going to tie little killer patterns.

in my Eastern Cape days a guinea fowl killer, using the small feathers with the finer markings, as well as GF soft hackle over a red chenille body worked VERY well!!

... and THANKS for the "farmer" compliment Boet!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Listen swaaer, thet was no compliment ther...just kidding, but understand i'm from an area where farmers shoot anything, including masses of largely beneficial guineas...

Stephan, if you don't manage to find any, i'll try get some in early september, then i'll dry them and send them. stick around on the forum, i see this is your first post so welcome!

Listen swaaer, thet was no compliment ther...just kidding, but understand i'm from an area where farmers shoot anything, including masses of largely beneficial guineas...
    Agreed, the only reason maize/grain farmers in mparalanga tolerate them is because they eat hundreds of weavils every day.

That said the odd one does fall victim to our weimarraners every now and then and their feathers do make beautiful soft hackle flies
    Check your knots!

High up on the neck the feathers change from having spots to little bars...
    You might struggle to get these off the domestic guineas that one sees around as they often have uniform dark necks, being of west- african origin...

Well i use them mostly in the black light mayfly patterns. They serve as wings on the fly.

Stephan, if you don't manage to find any, i'll try get some in early september, then i'll dry them and send them. stick around on the forum, i see this is your first post so welcome!
    Yes it is my first post and thanx for the help. Thanx, I will keep an eye on the forum. Where are you situated?

Me thinks someone watched a certain dvd. Why don't u mail the tier.Rumour has it he is starting his own material range.

G
    Gerrit Viljoen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast