Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Snapper Prawn

Ive pumped them at stilbaai before.havnt seen them lower down than that.breede maybe ??
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtooth View Post
    ...Gamba is that a Mozambiquean name? Similar to those huge tiger prawns?

I see your location is hidden.....I take it you have found you're own little spot of paradise...

It's West African. I was working around the Douala area and the local prawns were monsters, some a foot long and very similar to the monster tigers. The country is actually named after the Portuguese word for prawn. I still reckon you could get one on fly on light tackle. The splashing and noise should make the fight worthwhile.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. H. L. Mencken

Every decent man is ashamed of his government.

Default Snapper prawn

Found in all our local esturies along the S.E. coast. Not a swimming prawn as such but resides in mud/sea grass. Shallow pumping or tin pumping is used to get these critters. Awesome bait. Pinch like hell.

Fly tying to immitate them one would maybe copy crawfish patterns and modify as desired to try to resemble this one. Busy checking it out.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Hi Philip. Very interesting indeed, this is the first time I've seen one of these! How far south have you encountered snapper prawns?
    Hi Chris,

As far as the Kromme River near Cape St Francis, I took this Bartail Flathead/ Sand Gurnard on a snapper in the Kromme.

Quote Originally Posted by fish View Post
    Hi Chris,

As far as the Kromme River near Cape St Francis, I took this Bartail Flathead/ Sand Gurnard on a snapper in the Kromme.

Thanks Philip. I'll be on the lookout for them in future, now that I know they are there. Thanks for sharing!
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Philip...i beleive they are quite nice eating?my old man caught a sizer up in richards bay.(the fish not the prawn
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12