Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Circle Hooks - much ado about nothing

It still confuses me sometimes Gael
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Smile

Yup, I concur it's also better to 'bend' standard hook point sections slightly inwards after tying if you want 'circle' hooks. I agree the standard Eagle Claw type circles I find a bit too extreme in shape for e.g. yellows. It's also a real bgger trying to spin on dubbing and trying to miss the wicked infacing barb of a standard circle. I'd also only do this on slightly larger hooks in the yellowfish range as well otherwise hook-ups seem to get reduced for obvious reasons.

A bit of trivial info - In Oz when fishing from shore for big fish using standard tackle, the guys'd gang from three upto half a dozen Mustad sea hooks, by opening the eye gape a bit then inserting the point of another hook then closing the gape over the second hook; this process repeated until you end up with a lethal 'necklace'. The sardine or whatever was then attached to this rig. The guys used to bend the barb section inwards a la circle if they were fishing over rocky grounds. This seemed to work very well and they had already worked out you needed to reel in rather than strike as in 'normal' hooks.

I find that circle hooks are far more forgiving on the trout streams. I tie most of my dries on Mustad circle streamers C51S BLN in size 16. I fish with a 3 wt, and I find that I miss fewer fish I sometimes bend the point out a little in the knappec style. A little pressure on the line, and the fish is on. When i fish the same fly with my 2 wt, and apply the same tactic, I miss far more fish. With my 2 wt, I fish Grip 11013BL hooks in sizes 14 to 20, and miss very few. It seems to me that circle hooks are different, but they definatly are a gift from ***, especially if you are fishing the streams with a slightly longer rod.
    What are your comments MC and Gary

I like that, where are you getting them from????

http://www.mustad.no/catalog/product.php?id=179
    Mike McKeown

You're either fishing or waiting...

Andre

I have some of those circles, but have not tried them on the streams.

Currently I prefer the Partridge Flashpoint dry fly hooks. The gape is very good in relation to the shank length and the point is sharp.

Maybe next season I will give the circles a go.

Cheers
    MC

Partridge Flashpoints are my favourite and staple 'control' hooks - lovely stuff!

Cheers

Question Circle hooks for leervis/Garrick

Hi,

Can anybody out there share there experience as it relates to the use of circle hooks with Garrick/Leervis and kingfish with me please. I have had mixed success to date with leervis. Niel Malan

Only saltwater experience I have with them is from conventional fishing. They are the ulitmate game fish hooks in my opinion when using either live or whole dead bait - solid hookset in the corner of the mouth, easier on the fish come release time.

I wouldnt use them for saltwater flies though as you generally need to give the fish time to turn the bait around in its mouth and swim away from you to get a decent hookset.

Nothing catches garrick like a shad (starts ducking the klaps)
    Check your knots!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4