Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is a HEAVY fly?

Dizzy

Are you referring to that thin white stuff? This could work well on the pre-shaped lead bodies.

Interesting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Does anyone use the tape that plumbers use on taps? It helps with dubbing the fly after applying your lead.
    i think the stuff is called PTFE tape, but i don't know what it stands for. if i recall correctly, it has something to do with it's chemical composition - could be WAY off the mark though
    the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Dizzy

Are you referring to that thin white stuff? This could work well on the pre-shaped lead bodies.

Interesting idea.
    Yip, thats the one MC. Widely available, you can even buy it at a Spar.
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

Quote Originally Posted by dpammenter View Post
    i think the stuff is called PTFE tape, but i don't know what it stands for. if i recall correctly, it has something to do with it's chemical composition - could be WAY off the mark though
    P(oly) T(etra) F(luoro) E(thylene) - commonly known as "Teflon". Pure PTFE has one of the lowest coeffficients of friction of any solid (PTFE on PTFE).

It is a little slippery to tie over (surprise! )

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by GGY View Post
    P(oly) T(etra) F(luoro) E(thylene) - commonly known as "Teflon". Pure PTFE has one of the lowest coeffficients of friction of any solid (PTFE on PTFE).

It is a little slippery to tie over (surprise! )

Gary
    well TAKE THAT!!!

thanks Gary
    the patient mental...

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Dizzy

Interesting idea.
    I’ve been using plumber tape for a good while now

It comes in especially handy when you don’t want the colour of the lead under body to show through light dubbing when wet (trying to keep the colour constant). So on my tan/cream control flies I put a layer of it over the lead so you’re not trying to hide the lead with tying thread. Also seems to take permanent marker, so you can even colour it to suit you dubbing colour.

What some other people like to use it for is to pre-form dragon nymph bodies, when you want something lighter than lead but heavier than wool.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

What about the theory that lots of thread wraps will absorb lots of water whereas the plumber tape will trap air? It's probably nit-picking, but I like the idea of the thread holding more water making it at least as dense as the water it's falling into.

Not sure how much air it would trap, though I msut say that before and after I wind on the lead wire I put a layer of Sally hansons, first on the hooks and thenover the wire when it has been wound, so even if I dont use the tape then at least it's takes less thread to smooth out over the lead.
    Fly-fishing surpasses the need to actually catch a fish, it becomes a mindset, and with time, an obsession.

Lord,grant that I may catch a fish so big that even I,
    When speaking afterwards,
    May have no need to lie.
    Amen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123