Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauritius - help

Blog Entries

Default Mauritius - help

Any of you guys been to Mauritius who can help me out here?

I'm off to Mauritius in two weeks for a little vacation and definately some fishing. However, here is the problem:

The cheapest fishing charters charge 400 euros a boat!

Have any of you made use of a local that you can recommend for a morning or afternoon's fishing? Mostly light tackle and fly fishing?

I will also try some fly fishing of the rocks infront of the Hotel (Le Coco Beach) - I will pack in my 8 weight for this purpose. I tied some salty buggers in red and green and got hold of some small crazy charlies. Do I need anything more to complete my box for flyfishing of the rocks?
    And lastly sinking - floating or intermediate?

Sorry for all the questions but I have been told that you will not find any fishing equipment for sale in Mauritius and want to get properly prepared. Like the 7 P's of planning.

Quote Originally Posted by redhumpy View Post
    Any of you guys been to Mauritius who can help me out here?

I'm off to Mauritius in two weeks for a little vacation and definately some fishing. However, here is the problem:

The cheapest fishing charters charge 400 euros a boat!

Have any of you made use of a local that you can recommend for a morning or afternoon's fishing? Mostly light tackle and fly fishing?

I will also try some fly fishing of the rocks infront of the Hotel (Le Coco Beach) - I will pack in my 8 weight for this purpose. I tied some salty buggers in red and green and got hold of some small crazy charlies. Do I need anything more to complete my box for flyfishing of the rocks?
    And lastly sinking - floating or intermediate?

Sorry for all the questions but I have been told that you will not find any fishing equipment for sale in Mauritius and want to get properly prepared. Like the 7 P's of planning.

Boet!! I am off to Mauritius on Sunday.

Also not taking a guide, charter, etc. It's a honeymoon, not a fishing trip (as my fiance keeps reminding me) so I won't be fishing all the time. But, there is great fishing on your doorstep...kingies, little grunter/grouper/whatever, garfish, etc etc. Mostly small though, but my neighbour nailed a 5kg Kingie (G.T.) right in front of his hotel, 10 metres from the beach in knee-deep water.

I'll be back on Monday the 8th Sep, can give you feedback then if you like. (If it's before you leave).

I'm taking just 9wt rods (yes the fish are small in general...but Mr. GT 5kg or plus may come cruising along), and floating lines. PS: Where I will be is mostly "flats" style fishing...no deep drop-offs or anything. But you should take at least one reel or spool loaded with intermediate line, in case it's deep off the rocks in front of Le Coco Beach.
    Flies I'm taking:
    Lots of Salty buggers, from #8 to #1, with different colours in the tails, i.e. some with white, other with pink, or orange, green, etc etc.
    Then clousers from #8 to 1/0...with colour combo's: Chartreuse/White, red/White, Pink/White, Blue/White, etc.
    My neigbour got his Kingie on a pink/white fly with bead-chain eyes, about #4, tied clouser style...but with white feathers flanking the fly.
    Then some other flies I tied up clouser minnow style as well, but used kinky fibers, craft fur, wing-n-flash, enhancer hanks, etc etc...mixed variety.

regards
    Mike
    Last edited by Michael; 28-08-08 at 10:28 AM.

A couple of tips, depending on where you are all going, apart from short fishing, hire a water taxi (long thin boats with an outboard) to take you to a reef or offshore flotsam where you can often get dorado and othe rlittle gamefish on fly for a mere pittance. The official charte rboats are a rip-off. With the water taxi guys if you catch anything you may have to keep a fish for them as most are pretty destitute. If you get a chance to go down to Black Rock fishing club in the south and if you parlez a bit of francais and but the locals some drinks you may just be asked to accompany them on one of their trips...

Sorry got to shoot to meeting but a 9wt good average size for above general messing-around with ubiquitous chartreuse/white Clousers doing a lot of damage
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Blog Entries

Thanks Mike and Chris!
    Mike I would love to hear the feedback from your trip.
    Somebody mentioned to me that you should find a guy called Steve who everybody at La Cannonier knows and go on a trip with him. He does light tackle fishing for Rainbow Runners, Dorado etc etc. Apparently if you go to the Hotel which is close to Grand Baie everybody knows who steve is. Bit like Norm from Cheers. He charges about a gran for a day trip.

Thanks Mike and Chris!
    Somebody mentioned to me that you should find a guy called Steve who everybody at La Cannonier knows and go on a trip with him. He does light tackle fishing for Rainbow Runners, Dorado etc etc. Apparently if you go to the Hotel which is close to Grand Baie everybody knows who steve is. Bit like Norm from Cheers. He charges about a gran for a day trip.
    A Grand...still too steep fo me, plus I won't have the time to do a full day's fishing trip (If I value my life...). I'm just going to throw a line when I can, in front of the hotel and surrounds. There are kayaks and sail boats to use...may venture a bit out to see if there is some deeper water etc.
    Will give you feedback when I return. Hopefully it's good! My neighbour said you can catch LOADS of fish (as he did), but all smallish. That's okay with me, still good fun. And then the chance of the odd bigger fish coming along. Another tip, keep a few fish and give it to the hotel security staff, waiters, etc...they will love you for it! Or if you manage a decent fish, keep it and ask the kitchen to prepare it for you.

Thanks Mike and Chris!

Guys, I am staying at Le Cannonier in October!
    That sounds like good news to me! I was in contact with Dominique Thevenau about the guiding that he offers but I would have to win the Euro lottery tommorow to afford a days guided fishing...

So this Steve sounds a better option by far!

If anybody gets any contact details please share, Otherwise I will pester everyone at the hotel till I get him.

Looking forward to the report back's from evryone!

I'll put a little report-back up once I get back. The wind can be a problem too, especially this time of year. Less rain, but more chance of strong winds. Might be an option to take a 4-piece bass rod with (yes, I am talking about conventional tackle... ) with a coffee grinder and some spinner/lures/rapalas. When the wind is really pumping, its much easier to fish like that. I'm not taking conventional tackle at all, just the fly rods...but I won't be fishing that much anyway.

If I go on the catamaran cruise, and see schools of GT's next to the boat..you think they will mind if I cast a 450 grain shooting head into the water??

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'll put a little report-back up once I get back. The wind can be a problem too, especially this time of year. Less rain, but more chance of strong winds. Might be an option to take a 4-piece bass rod with (yes, I am talking about conventional tackle... ) with a coffee grinder and some spinner/lures/rapalas. When the wind is really pumping, its much easier to fish like that. I'm not taking conventional tackle at all, just the fly rods...but I won't be fishing that much anyway.

If I go on the catamaran cruise, and see schools of GT's next to the boat..you think they will mind if I cast a 450 grain shooting head into the water??

I think if it was me I would throw the line to test there reaction's...

What's the worst thing that could happen? Take you back to the beech and drop you off?
    Swambo will probably be a bit Peeved though...

All I can say is that I'm a bit peed off about the Euro's, some time back I paid in Rupees.700 it was for a full day out.

G

Blog Entries

After spending the week-end in bed with my own internal version of rocksnot I atleast could lay in my bed and sort out some kit. For my Mauritius trip I decided to rig my rod as follow:
    Remeber this rig is for off the rocks infront of the Hotel.

Rig one
    Onto the flyline I attached about 1.2m 17kg braid and onto the braid a 7kg tippet of about 50cm.

Rig 2

Onto the flyline I attached about 30cm 15kg mono as a butt section. From the butt I attached another about 70cm 11.5kg mono and to that a 30 cm 7kg tippet mono.

Does this sound ok?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast