Thread: First Dry Fly to tie

Question First Dry Fly to tie

I am yet to tie a dry fly and have a few questions regarding ...

Seeing as I fish almost exclusively on the Vaal and in rivers I am looking for a general all purpose dry fly that one can use during the course of a MF hatch, either as a single fly or in a dry and dropper setup.

1) Which fly should I choose : Klinkhammer, Para Adams, what ?
    2) Should I even bother with tying on a #14 or skip straight to tying on #16 and work my way to tying on #18 and smaller ?
    3) Which dryfly hook would you guys recommend ?
    4) What generic materials should I source that will allow me to expand and variate on the suggested dry into other dries that will also suit my purposes ?

TIA,

-§
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Scythe, check with GGY, he has a nice fly he calls the Airhead, I tie it in a different version though!
    Daryl Human

The solution to any problem -- work, love, money, whatever -- is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

As a general dry fly for the vaal that can be tied in a few colours, floats well enough to suspend a dropper and has a good footprint not much is going to be easier to tie than an elk hair caddis. I am sure you could tie it on a #14 as the caddis themselves are quite large.

If you are specifically after a mayfly imitation though then disregard my advice - for that matter i think GGY's airhead is also a caddis imitation? Not sure if you can tell the difference between a mayfly and a caddis
    Check your knots!

I would also say the Elk Hair Caddis. It is easy to tie and floats well so would work well with small nymphs below it.

Funny thing is that the EHC has saved me a lot of frustration when fishing the holsloot and those mid morning mayfly hatches come off. Often an EHC has been the fly they eventually take, so don't disregard it as a mayfly immitation even if it is supposed to be a Caddis immitation.

All you need is Dubbing, Hackle, Elk Hair and an optional ribbing of copper wire or something else (I use crystal flash). These materials will allow you to also tie stimulators and the vast amount of Stimulator spinoffs which are either Caddis or Terrestrial immitations.

Since you have the Elk Hair, you could also always tie Spun Duns as your main Dry fly and these things should float well enough to hold up a small nymph. Not sure how well they would work for yellows, but I cannot see why they would not.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    I am yet to tie a dry fly and have a few questions regarding ...

Seeing as I fish almost exclusively on the Vaal and in rivers I am looking for a general all purpose dry fly that one can use during the course of a MF hatch, either as a single fly or in a dry and dropper setup.

1) Which fly should I choose : Klinkhammer, Para Adams, what ?
    2) Should I even bother with tying on a #14 or skip straight to tying on #16 and work my way to tying on #18 and smaller ?
    3) Which dryfly hook would you guys recommend ?
    4) What generic materials should I source that will allow me to expand and variate on the suggested dry into other dries that will also suit my purposes ?
    Ah a dry fly tying virgin

Make sure to tie the condom ribbed para adams first

I would recommend that the great "yellowfish legend" start tying with a big hook, like a #14 as hackling and dressing small flies is kinda finicky....

You need some good quality hackles, metz is a good brand.

Also some dry fly dubbing and some calf tail for the posts.

Tiemco and grip make decent dry fly hooks... I don't know how they will hold up on yellows?

The flies that you tie will be determined by the waters you fish......
    Last edited by nkula_nkula; 10-01-07 at 08:45 PM.
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring