Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weaving or woven flies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool Weaving or woven flies

HI GUYS,

A couple of years ago I came across a method to weave fly bodies. The flies I wove were soon all given away and since then have not tied any again. I am wondering as I have not seen any of these methods used on Flytalk. Have any of the fly-tiers here attempted these patterns, and if so, where can I find them. They turn out awesome, depending on weave. Anyone interested let me know.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

The Benchside Tyers reference book also Darryl Martin (Think it's Fly-Tying Methods) both show most of the weaves.
    Of course the Polish woven nymphs were precursors of the Czech nymph but guys have been tying woven flies for hundreds of years
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

I use the Pot weave.I'll give details later about it.

G

I have tied quite a few .... but they are strictly to catch fishermen .. not fish .... haven't caught much on them for all the time involved!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    I have tied quite a few .... but they are strictly to catch fishermen .. not fish .... haven't caught much on them for all the time involved!!!
    Catch fisherman....dont pull a Fario on us. Try other colours than PINK.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
    A lot was made about the woven flies, when the first of the designs was made "public"
    Every one tied them, but very little investigation was done on how to fish them.
    So their effectiveness was very much doubted.

As mentioned in this thread, they where a precursor to the CZ nymphs.
    You can have as many CZ nymphs as you want, but if you don't fish them correct you won't catch any fish. The same applies to the woven nymphs.
    Fish them correct and they are deadly and will catch lots of fish.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    A lot was made about the woven flies, when the first of the designs was made "public"
    Every one tied them, but very little investigation was done on how to fish them.
    So their effectiveness was very much doubted.

As mentioned in this thread, they where a precursor to the CZ nymphs.
    You can have as many CZ nymphs as you want, but if you don't fish them correct you won't catch any fish. The same applies to the woven nymphs.
    Fish them correct and they are deadly and will catch lots of fish.
    HI KORRIE,

On the nail you are. I tied these flies in small sizes and fished them in stillwaters, nailed the trout when others got nothing, hence me giving them away as in my initial post. But snce then, have not seen ANY other fly tiers weave them.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by gerrit View Post
    I use the Pot weave.I'll give details later about it.

G
    HI Gerrit,

Pot weave, Tik weave, been tying with Fario again.

Cant wait for this method.

Dave

I have tied a woven fly or two, but like said only nice to look at, too much effort for me to tie these and then go loose them on the first outing, however they do catch fish but so does flies that is not woven bodies. In short I will sit down a weave a few for fun, but never as a day to day fly.
    PK

I am haunted by waters - Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by pieterkriel View Post
    I have tied a woven fly or two, but like said only nice to look at, too much effort for me to tie these and then go loose them on the first outing, however they do catch fish but so does flies that is not woven bodies. In short I will sit down a weave a few for fun, but never as a day to day fly.
    HI PIETERKRIEL,

Thinking of no 14 and smaller nymphs for yellows and trout. Thin copper etc, transparent as well in fine or micro materials.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast