Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Flies for Largies

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    I pumped a few of these puppies out this morning for the upcoming trip. Hope they produce...
    Attachment 4088Attachment 4089Attachment 4090Attachment 4091
    Please excuse the terrible photo quality, Ive changed a setting on my camera and dont know what ive done!
    FW

Nice looking flies, they will all work well. And as for the weedgaurd...excellent. I use 30lbs mono on my weedgaurds...no problems with hook-ups. These gaurds are an asset to the fly, most definitely. In fact, your last fly you could have tied hook-point riding down, with a weedgaurd as well, and it would have been even better. I firmly believe with the hook-point riding down, your hook-up rate will improve. With the hook-point riding up...you are trying to hook into the hardest part of a fish's mouth, namely the top part. Riding down...you are targeting the bottom part and sides (scissors) of the mouth. Hence, better hook-ups.
    And the weedgaurd most definitely prevents the fly from snagging.
    One other advantage in my opinion, is once the hook sets, the weedgaurd prevents the fly from just popping out of the fish's mouth too easily. The gaurd must be bent back for the hook to slip out easily.

Good luck...Go smack them largemouths! And remember to post pics!

regards
    Mike

Thanks mike,
    Yeah I tied a few without weed guards to see for myself whether they actually make a significant difference. I dont ever get use them for any of the fishing I generally do, so I hope I get a few to form a conclusive answer.
    Hear what your saying about the hook point riding down. Good point.
    Thanks for the crits!
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6