Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: It's now got personal

Yes! After the huge build up - did you guys catch anything?
    "Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers" - Voltaire 1694 - 1778

I think the lack of a speedy feedback post, speaks volumes
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Booger Rose Banned User

Maybe they are so tired from catching thousands of fish that they just can not type a short message telling us how it went.

And maybe the easter bunny will come early this year ?

Nah, I think they collectively decided to call it Stream X and not mention a word
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Nah, I think they collectively decided to call it Stream X and not mention a word
    Are they back yet?
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

Fishing is always personal
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Hello....we're back......
    Ok, report back.... We crossed into Namibia at about 05h00 on Wednesday morning, and sped straght to rapid X where we tackled up as the sun was rising. Straight into the water, and proceeded to catch dozens of little fish. The larger ones were slightly more elusive, but we got a few. The river was super low and clear. About mid morning, we went through to sendelings drift and crossed back into SA at the pont, dumped the trailer at pooitjiespram, and sped off to "secret rapids". There we proceeded to absolutely slaughter the fish, and in about 2 hours, had somewhere between 30 and 40 fish each.
    Maddy began by standing in a run, and getting 4 fish in his first 4 casts, and then moving off in disgust. I then moved into the position he was standing in, and did the same. We moved back to the pools at Pooitjies and tried for a few largies, and ...nothing.
    Thursday we began down at "Jenny's", and slauhtered fish after fish after fish. By the end of the day, Kev Maddy and myself, must have had 100 smallies each. Thet evening, we tried for largies again, and the only one that came out, was caught by me, and it really wasn't worth a photo.
    Friday morning we drove up to De hoop, and took one look at the river and conditions and thought we were going to break some records. Well, Friday and Saturday were characterised by tougher fishing. The weather was clear and sunny, but an icy wind was blowing, and the fishing went off a bit. We still got plenty of fish, but had to work quite hard for them. Tried for largies again, but alas, were dissapointed again.
    Generally a really good trip...one of the best in fact, and literally hundreds of fish again.
    Largies were ellusive......unfortunatly
    I will post some pics soon.

Eish boy-os. Don't you guys know that to get the Largies you need to put down the 5WT, get out of the rapids (after you get the first 40 or so SM) and to dedicate some serious time in pursuit of the big bruisers ?

Sounds like a fabulous trip nonetheless, welcome back to high rivers and 12" minnows

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Eish boy-os. Don't you guys know that to get the Largies you need to put down the 5WT, get out of the rapids (after you get the first 40 or so SM) and to dedicate some serious time in pursuit of the big bruisers ?

Sounds like a fabulous trip nonetheless, welcome back to high rivers and 12" minnows
    Hahaha, we did! We were out of the rapids by 3ish each day and fished for largies till sundown. Our lack of success was not from a lack of trying! I have a seriously empty Largie box and a pulled tendon in my shoulder to prove it! Great fun though.
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567