Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater Fly tying books

Question Saltwater Fly tying books

Hi guys

I have stumbled apon a bit of luck in the way that SWAMBO ows me a gift

Now now, not that type of gift

What I am trying to find out is, I was looking at getting uncle Bob's book Popfleyes but seeing as it has been out for a good couple of years I was wondering if there is any new and "better" books that I can look at, with detailed SBS and some history on the flies that they tie.

I am open for sugestions, maybe website links where I can have a look at what is in the book would also be appreciated. And it must be saltwater based, good baitfish and crab or prawn paterns.

Thanks guys
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Deewy

Popfleyes is still the best saltwater tying book out there. The patterns will suit your fishing and target species perfectly.

Stay away from the Klausmeyer books. (Contemporary Saltwater Flies & Guideflies)

The only other really good option is Bob Verveka's Innovative Saltwater Flies - this will give you lots of food for thought.

Cheers
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Deewy

Popfleyes is still the best saltwater tying book out there. The patterns will suit your fishing and target species perfectly.

Stay away from the Klausmeyer books. (Contemporary Saltwater Flies & Guideflies)

The only other really good option is Bob Verveka's Innovative Saltwater Flies - this will give you lots of food for thought.

Cheers
    MC

Hi Mc,

What sort of patterns can I expect to find in there?Is it "all purpose" or does he focus on spesific flies for spesic species?

Thanks
    G

Hi there Gerrit

Not sure which one you're referring to?

Popfleyes is a brilliant book, not only because of the patterns but also because of the way in which he understands (and explains) why he ties them in the way that he does. It includes very detailed sequences of Poplips, Siliclone, Surf Candy, Sempers etc

Verveka's book contains patterns from about thirty different guys and covers all salt species. Some brilliant individual patterns (some crap also) but it is a fantastic source of inspiration when you are not quite sure what to tie. It could have given better sequences but then again it is not intended as a step-by-step guide.

Cheers
    MC

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Hi there Gerrit

Not sure which one you're referring to?

Popfleyes is a brilliant book, not only because of the patterns but also because of the way in which he understands (and explains) why he ties them in the way that he does. It includes very detailed sequences of Poplips, Siliclone, Surf Candy, Sempers etc

Verveka's book contains patterns from about thirty different guys and covers all salt species. Some brilliant individual patterns (some crap also) but it is a fantastic source of inspiration when you are not quite sure what to tie. It could have given better sequences but then again it is not intended as a step-by-step guide.

Cheers
    MC
    Thanks MC,reason for asking is I might be able to poach some ideas for Freshwater streamer patterns.

G

Hay I see that Bob Popovics is now endorsing a new epoxy replacement.

Its called tuffleye, and looks like its pretty damn nifty. Basically you cure the stuff in a special light.

Has anyone ever used it, and is there any local supplier?

have you managed to source this book locally Deewy ?
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    have you managed to source this book locally Deewy ?
    Hi adrian

Speak to Archerfish, he works for netbook, he has it in stock in Cape Town, R445 for the book but it looks like it will be the way to go from the replies that I got.

Thanks guys
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Adrian,

you can also do a search on kalahari.net they have it free postage for orders over R350..

Sometimes they have great specials..

cheers
    I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Dewwy I have a few books by bob popovics bob clouser and lefty jim scolemyer billy pate etc
    after an unfortunate incident with one of my prized tuna books I no longer lend out books
    but you are welcome to pop round (pun intended) and have a browse and make a call as to wich one you want swambo to add to your collection from netbooks

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast