Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Split Cane Rods

Default Split Cane Rods

Guys

This thread is a bit of a carry over from the last forum which died (where did all those posts go to anyway?)

I've ordered and received a Headwaters 7' 4wt split cane rod. Have not used it yet but I tested it in my yard yesterday. Casts like a dream - sweet, fluid action. Cannot wait to try it on the Smalblaar this weekend. Tom Lewin stated that once one uses cane it's hard to go back to synthetic rods.

Any cane rats out there wish to comment?

After reading John Gierach's books I've developed a bit of a fascination for them but I have only ever cast one, an old Hardy, and it was a dog (apologies to Chris' buddy). Very heavy and slow.

But I understand that the modern cane rods are a real treat. There's a bloke in Aussie who apparantly makes some pretty good rods at OK prices. Next time I'm there I'll take a look. http://www.taranskybamboo.com.au/

I'd be interested to hear what you think of yours. Are you gonna get a silk line, or at least a Cortland Sylk?

Kev

I ordered a Thebault silk line from Olaf borge in the USA. Been waiting for 6 weeks impatiently

My rod cost me half the price of a Sage in the shops here!

Quote Originally Posted by NeilRowe View Post
    Kev

I ordered a Thebault silk line from Olaf borge in the USA. Been waiting for 6 weeks impatiently

My rod cost me half the price of a Sage in the shops here!
    And the silk line cost you the other half?

You guys are going soft with your modern light weight cane rods. If you want to experience the real thing in true traditional style, you should try my old Walker Bampton 8'6. The modern angler would need a wrist brace to be able to cast it, but it is the real thing!

Chris

Do'nt start on your dam fishing mission again!

Smallstreams boet - not 7wt lines and grassy snails!

Flipping better than casting to tufts of grass on my front lawn, as i witnessed you doing last night Boet!

After you left I caught one of those grassy snails. Very slow retrieve - almost static. The snail rose rapidly through the grass and after a few minutes swallowed the fly. After a fierce struggle I eventually landed the snail. Very similar to the one in your photo. Maybe we should start a thread about flyfishing for grassy snails?

hahahahaha

Forgot to tell you, it's stomach was crunching around happily. Could'nt find a hosepipe so I used a screwdriver (like the mechanics do)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast