Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Witbank yellows?

Herman

Djy kaanie soe vloekkie
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

ha ha . why do always want that we cannot get

I am going to check it out on the 7th....I will geeeve feedback
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

Hey guys, I fished Witbank dam on Sat morning for a few hours. At the "recreational resort". Really neglected! And you are very limited to a section of the dam at this spot, especially with the gooiers set up every 20m from each other. So I decided to fish the area next to the dam wall. Managed to get 4 or 5 bass in the morning session. Then called it a day and went for a walk below the dam wall. As graham mentioned it is pretty much abandonned. There is an opening below the fence that you can sneak through. You could easily get in there and fish without any problems...Although there is sign at the gate saying no fishing and the oke at the entrance also said that no fishing is allowed there. The water was low, so I didn't fish. Saw no action at all. but saw a few tilapia in the pools! Definately weren't bluegill, sorry flybum There was quite a big deep pool further down (500m or so), that might be worth a throw. There some nice trails you can do there as well
    "When you on the river, ocean or in the woods, you are the closest to the truth you'll ever get." - Jack Leonard

Pheasant Tail Nymph Banned User

Jimbi, some colleagues of mine wrote to the reserve the other day, asking for permission to fish that section of river. I don't know if they have received any reply yet. However, another colleague stopped by the bridge over the weekend and apparently the fish are moving quite heavily over there. He couldn't tell if it was yellows or not.

The one time that I took the rowboat up there from the dam below, I only found carp and fish eagles. The water was low back then, so the yellows may be moving up the river due thanks to the stronger flows from Witbank dam.

Let us know if you have any success.

Kind regards,
    PTN

Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant Tail Nymph View Post
    Jimbi, some colleagues of mine wrote to the reserve the other day, asking for permission to fish that section of river. I don't know if they have received any reply yet. However, another colleague stopped by the bridge over the weekend and apparently the fish are moving quite heavily over there. He couldn't tell if it was yellows or not.

The one time that I took the rowboat up there from the dam below, I only found carp and fish eagles. The water was low back then, so the yellows may be moving up the river due thanks to the stronger flows from Witbank dam.

Let us know if you have any success.

Kind regards,
    PTN

I dont stay in Witbank but would love to get involved in getting a water like that secured for FF.... let me know if I can help in any way
    I'm not addicted to fishing, I can quit anytime my wife makes me!!

This piece of water has interested many of us over the past.
    I am interested in getting to the north side of this streem where it enters the "dam" on the other side.

I remember when i was a kid we went out there. There is a pump house on the eastern shore that pumps warm water from the mines and the fishing was good around the outlet.

Also keen to get under the bridge for some catfish
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

If you guys ar going to Recce the area let me know Ill help keep an eye out

That is a big stretch of water. Have a look at this
    "Sometimes one pays most for the things one gets for nothing" - Einstein

Olifants river, caught a few yellows the last 2 days, and 1 mudd. Most of the yellows were caught on dry fly. Mayfly imitations. All these were hand sized. Today I caught a couple on grhe's and bloodworms. Sizes 25cm plus. The fish were rising to feed off the surfice from 8 to 1 o clock. Couldn't figure out the hatch. The fish feed A LOT off the surfice on this stretch of river. Looked like micro caddis?! Yesterday some idiot were cathing the yellows with a net. With each cast he caught at least 5 or 6 sometimes more. This was at Groblersdal.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast