Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Witbank yellows?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcast View Post
    Olifants river, caught a few yellows the last 2 days, and 1 mudd. Most of the yellows were caught on dry fly. Mayfly imitations. All these were hand sized. Today I caught a couple on grhe's and bloodworms. Sizes 25cm plus. The fish were rising to feed off the surfice from 8 to 1 o clock. Couldn't figure out the hatch. The fish feed A LOT off the surfice on this stretch of river. Looked like micro caddis?! Yesterday some idiot were cathing the yellows with a net. With each cast he caught at least 5 or 6 sometimes more. This was at Groblersdal.
    Firstly, well done and nice report.

Secondly, I hope you "bliksemmed" the oke with the net, then tied him in it, with a few extra rocks for ballast and left him at the bottom of a deep pool.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Olifants river ... Looked like micro caddis?!
    Here's my tip to you ... m i d g e s
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

You are dead on the spot, saw midges, adults as well. Couldn't match sizes though. Yesterday I caught them on size 14 grhe's and bloodworms, but these yellows were feeding off the surfice or rather just subsurfice the whole day. Frustrating. Will have to tie midges on at least size 22 hooks. Saw another net set up across a entire run. Please tell me to whom can I report this type of thing as it pi$$es me off. I was also very seriously advised to get out of the middle of a nice run by a young farmer. He then describe in detail the size of the crocs in this stretch of river. I told him that he should have told me, and that he was spoiling the fishing for me. So beware.

Please tell me to whom can I report this type of thing as it pi$$es me off...
    As for reporting, find out who might be the local Nature Conservation Representative ... as for immediate action ... do what I do ... remove net ... find some dry sticks ... take out waterproof lighter ... shazam !

Just watch out for your personal safety when the owners come looking for their net, that's happened before too.

I was also very seriously advised to get out of the middle of a nice run by a young farmer. He then describe in detail the size of the crocs in this stretch of river. So beware.
    Geeeee Wizzz... Hectic!! That is some scary stuff that!
    Fly fishing, fly tying & rod building.....

http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=2531

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Geeeee Wizzz... Hectic!! That is some scary stuff that!
    Did you see the article in the Record about the 2M Croc captured in Irene/Centurion on the Hennops river ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Did you see the article in the Record about the 2M Croc captured in Irene/Centurion on the Hennops river ?
    Yup, something stupid like 2.4m. Every float tubers worst nightmare

There are massive crocs in all the rivvers around the groblersdal/marble hall area.
    Check your knots!

I also saw that. I also saw that it was reported as the Hennops river and that the croc escaped from Rietvlei.
    I was under the impression that it was the Sesmylspruit running out of Rietvlei and into Cornwall Hill. Shows you how much I know.

I like Crocodiles....but I could not eat a whole one....
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

As for reporting, find out who might be the local Nature Conservation Representative ... as for immediate action ... do what I do ... remove net ... find some dry sticks ... take out waterproof lighter ... shazam !

Just watch out for your personal safety when the owners come looking for their net, that's happened before too.
    Totally agree. I once found a gill net in a dam in Edenvale, belonging to a chinese fellow. Was full of carp, bass, 2 dead kingfishers, and a dead duck. I managed to cut a lot of the live fish out and release them, and them proceeded to cut the net up just as this fool and his mate arrived. I don't think they will forget that day for long, long time.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast