Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Emmerentia dam

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gauteng Blairgowrie
    Posts
    541

    Default Emmerentia dam

    Anybody ever fished at emerentia dam? I just want to get a line in the water so its close enough for me to just go for a afternoon. What species are there there to target? What tactics should i employ? Is a fishing licence needed? If so where can one be bought? Thanks A

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,042

    Default

    Above Emmerentia dam there are a series of dams. 3 if I remember correct. The system goes all the way up to the Westdene dam. They use to have bass and carp in them. We all know you cant get rid of those once they are in a system. So they should still be there. I know the ones in the Botanical gardens had decent bass in them. At one stage safety was an issue. So be careful. I'm not sure some one will check on the licences. But you never know.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gauteng Blairgowrie
    Posts
    541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    Above Emmerentia dam there are a series of dams. 3 if I remember correct. The system goes all the way up to the Westdene dam. They use to have bass and carp in them. We all know you cant get rid of those once they are in a system. So they should still be there. I know the ones in the Botanical gardens had decent bass in them. At one stage safety was an issue. So be careful. I'm not sure some one will check on the licences. But you never know.

    I was thinking the one at the Botanical Gardens, It doesnt seem that dangerous. Where would i get the Fishing licence that i might need? and what licence is it??

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Eastern Cape
    Posts
    6,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andrewbuch View Post
    I was thinking the one at the Botanical Gardens, It doesnt seem that dangerous. Where would i get the Fishing licence that i might need? and what licence is it??
    Post Office, freshwater/inland fishing.

    Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

  5. #5
    Booger Rose Banned User

    Default

    Used to fish in those dams a lot. The 2 smaller dams in the Roostuin have nice bass.

    Emmerentia nice bass, carp and barbel. Bass on damwall side and when going around dam try all the small inlets and under the willow trees. Nice carp to be taken on fly on the inlet side of dam - i think there is pipe going over the water on that side. look for the bubbles and fish it slowly. Also nice hotspot for bass in the corner where the sailing club (still there?) is situated.

    Westdene dam also had nice bass, carp and barbel - especially if you can get on to the island and fish the structure. There is also a dam just under the RAU rugby stadium, at the RAU grasdak, that hold fantastic bass and carp fishing. used to be very safe there seeing that it is on the university grounds and they have security in place.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Used to fish in those dams a lot. The 2 smaller dams in the Roostuin have nice bass.

    Emmerentia nice bass, carp and barbel. Bass on damwall side and when going around dam try all the small inlets and under the willow trees. Nice carp to be taken on fly on the inlet side of dam - i think there is pipe going over the water on that side. look for the bubbles and fish it slowly. Also nice hotspot for bass in the corner where the sailing club (still there?) is situated.

    Westdene dam also had nice bass, carp and barbel - especially if you can get on to the island and fish the structure. There is also a dam just under the RAU rugby stadium, at the RAU grasdak, that hold fantastic bass and carp fishing. used to be very safe there seeing that it is on the university grounds and they have security in place.
    You obvoisly studied at RAU. Talking about above places stirred some memories. When where you at RAU? Must be a couple of years back as they now talk about UJ. Where you in res? Which one.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  7. #7
    Booger Rose Banned User

    Default

    Jip, lekker at RAU!!! started in 1993 end my last year was 2002 - that is a ful ten years of study and I'm proud to have one BA degree - try and beat that. Through my ten years I did just about everything there is to be done on that campus - Started a dayly at Kanniedood, stayed in a few student houses, two years in Afslaan - next to the Wild Boar and ended up for two years in one of the woonstelle next to Oppierif. RAU Rag were the best in the country!

    Sometimes I miss those carefree student days of not going too class and fishing at least four times a week everywhere - Florida meer used to be my favourite spot.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    909

    Default

    In addition to what has been said there was a short thread on this previously:

    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showt...ght=emmarentia

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    9,042

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Jip, lekker at RAU!!! started in 1993 end my last year was 2002 - that is a ful ten years of study and I'm proud to have one BA degree - try and beat that. Through my ten years I did just about everything there is to be done on that campus - Started a dayly at Kanniedood, stayed in a few student houses, two years in Afslaan - next to the Wild Boar and ended up for two years in one of the woonstelle next to Oppierif. RAU Rag were the best in the country!

    Sometimes I miss those carefree student days of not going too class and fishing at least four times a week everywhere - Florida meer used to be my favourite spot.
    I was there from 83 to 88. Dromedaris. One of the Admirals. Rooi Plein etc.

    As you say, the RAG at RAU was the best. When I came to the Cape, visited the Maties RAG. It was like comparing a Rock concert to a creche.
    Korrie Broos

    Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

  10. #10
    Booger Rose Banned User

    Default

    Ja these guys don't know how to do a propper RAG. Must say the rest of the parties is not to bad and the wine farms make up for a lot. Drom nĂȘ, when i was on the SRC Drom and Skoonveld were my two koshuise to look after in the sense of play nice and you want to do what for ontgroening!!!

    back to the thread - the Vaal is not even an hours drive away from Jhb. You can easily spend an afternoon fishing the Vaal and be back before 19:00 if you want to. If you have safety conserns the Vaal might be an better option.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •