Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 10' 5WT Rods ?

With those pills your 10' 6wt could double up as an 11'6'' 9wt

I've used both 10' 5wts and 9' 5wts at Sterkfontein and the Vaal....and i definitely prefer the 9' rod. The 10 footer has it's place, in certain circumstances, but the 9' is better in a lot of ways and more versatile.

SLN or Czech nymph the whole day with a 10' rod and your fore-arm looks like Popeye's, or a serious motocross rider with arm-pump! Even Dean Riphagen admits that he prefers a 9' rod too, having used both in the Vaal (Z-Axis rods)

You are going to be on the river the whole day...doing a bit of SLN'ing, maybe cast a dry fly, and doing a bit of NZ-style nymphing too. The 9' rod does all that no problem...but the 10' rod can become a dog to use in all aspects. With a 9' rod you can change fishing styles at anytime, and not think "geez wish I had my 9' rod for this situation".

And at Sterkfontein all you need is a 9' rod, if you can string together a decent cast. And if you can't...the 10' rod will be even worse anyway...

So why buy a 10' rod, when you can rather buy another decent 9' rod, and have 2 or three good ones.

In other words...if you think you're going to catch more fish with a 10' rod, think again...it's the tecnique and the experience of the angler anyway.

Specifically for CZn'ing on the Vaal I prefer my 10' 5wt customised T and T for the ultra-short-lining as I find I have more control, and as I'm lobbing not casting my arm doesn't get tired. I agree for distance casting it doesn't make so much difference at all and a 9' is more comfortable over a day

Another important point to consider is how many fly fisherman do you know with only one rod? One of them may aswell be a 10ft for lobbing bombs
    Check your knots!

Oh blah

10' cast a dream, long line, short line, high sticking, swing, CZN, casting bombs over long distances.

Whatever, I love my 10'. It casts like a dream, presents tiny dries on 16' leaders beautifully, has enough backbone to horse a submarine around, gives me the extra reach I want for CZN or SLN and at the end of the day it's not about the tool it's about the user's ability to use the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

Whatever, I love my 10". It ***** like a dream, presents tiny d**** in 16 year old ***** beautifully, has enough backbone to horse a ***** around, gives me the extra reach I want for **** or **** and at the end of the day it's not about the tool it's about the user's ability to use the tool.
    Eish bro, thats a bit TMI, and I reckon your ruler is broken !

Rulers and Scales might be incorrectly calibrated that's why I prefer to stick to measuring audibly on the OhMy***-O-Meter

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post
    Rulers and Scales might be incorrectly calibrated that's why I prefer to stick to measuring audibly on the OhMy***-O-Meter
    Sure you're not sticking it in the wrong hole ?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345