Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Would'nt of thought of there????????

At the moment I have a bit of an Africa bug. I'm keen to get out into Africa and catch some of the indigenous African freshwater species.

There must be tons of wonderful bream species as you go up, as well as some yellowfish relatives, catfish species, goliath tigers, nile perch, the many lake malawi/tanganyika species, and who knows what else is out there!
    "So hereís my point. Donít go and get your ego all out of proportion because you can tie a fly and catch a fish thatís dumb enough to eat a car key.." - Louis Cahill - Gink and Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by gkieser View Post
    At the moment I have a bit of an Africa bug. I'm keen to get out into Africa and catch some of the indigenous African freshwater species.

There must be tons of wonderful bream species as you go up, as well as some yellowfish relatives, catfish species, goliath tigers, nile perch, the many lake malawi/tanganyika species, and who knows what else is out there!
    I'm with you here, plenty in Africa.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Like all of you have said the list is just too long, unless you are stinking rich awith lots of time.

I am hooked on africa so i am trying to start near home and slowly work my way up the continent. If all works out i will get the oppertunity to go place like Zanzibar and Egypt for work. Wont be forgetting the fly rod if the oppertunity arrises.
    The best day to go fishing is any day that ends in a "y"

Booger Rose Banned User

Africa have some great destinations. I was lucky enough to fish lake Malawi, lots of fun with a 5wt.

Dont forget about the Zambezi, we fished it just above the Vic Falls ass well as down in the rappids - great fun with Tigers and barble - again the old trusted 5wt.

I'm starting to dream about Angola now...

You don't need to travel too far to find virgin waters. There are closed access gorges in the central Drakensberg that are inhabited by trout, and to my knowledge, have never been fished.

I'm planning on changing that next year.
    You are a perishable item. Live accordingly.

Default Ultra Bass in New Guinea

Niugini Bass & Spottailed Bass are found in the fresh water rivers of New Guinea.
    In "Fly fishing for bass" Lefty Kreh states that these are the hardest fighting fish (fresh or salt!!) he has ever hooked on a fly line (world wide).
    They use 40lbs mono leaders with a 1ft 80lbs shock tippet!
    He says the chaps he was fishing with would go heavier but the 13wt fly lines would need stronger cores.
    He goes on to describe numerous fish straightening #3/0 heavy steel hooks & an instance where a 14lb hooked fish, was swallowed whole by a bigger bass and broken off.
    To his knowledge only two dozen or so fly anlgers have ever caught theese beasts!

Not shabby at all hey?

Mark
    "All you need is ignorance and confidence and the success is sure." - Mark Twain

Reviving a bit of an old thread here but I was intrigued to hear of the Kerguelen Islands (I prefer their moody alternative name, "the Desolation Islands").

After a quick bit of googling, anadromous brown trout have colonized much of the island/s and brook trout are also found albeit in more limited numbers and areas to the brownies. Could this be the "next big thing" in hitherto unexplored fishing destinations I wondered?

Perhaps not, the only way to get there is by ship and according to Wiki 'tourists' can book a cabin in the scientific base supply ship for a mere Euro14,600 or Euro7,300 if shared!

Still, I am intrigued by this place... perhaps one day if I win the lotto

Back to the thread, I'd like to add the Faroe Islands and Kyrgyzstan to the list.
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

Quote Originally Posted by JustinM View Post
    Reviving a bit of an old thread here but I was intrigued to hear of the Kerguelen Islands (I prefer their moody alternative name, "the Desolation Islands").

After a quick bit of googling, anadromous brown trout have colonized much of the island/s and brook trout are also found albeit in more limited numbers and areas to the brownies. Could this be the "next big thing" in hitherto unexplored fishing destinations I wondered?

Perhaps not, the only way to get there is by ship and according to Wiki 'tourists' can book a cabin in the scientific base supply ship for a mere Euro14,600 or Euro7,300 if shared!

Still, I am intrigued by this place... perhaps one day if I win the lotto

Back to the thread, I'd like to add the Faroe Islands and Kyrgyzstan to the list.
    P.S. Very good blog you got there Justin.
    I would love to target nile perch.

DAVE
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    P.S. Very good blog you got there Justin.
    I would love to target nile perch.

DAVE
    Cheers Dave.
    "The best way to shrink a fish is with with a ruler - the best way to grow a fish is with a beer."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123