Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bells festival in 3 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
    Jasper is it guiding or hosting at the Bells
    must be GUIDING ... don't think you will see many Woolly Buggers and/or children and/or dogs there as is the case with HOSTING!!!
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Eben,do you want to come and guide me Great very informative,thanks.
    Hehe, Nick not sure who is guiding.

Main thing is to relax, steal with your eyes and try soak up as much info as you can.

I was very lucky to meet Darryl as my "guide" at the Cape Bells a couple of years back. Definately fast-tracked my learning curve I can tell you..

Hopefully whoever you get as a guide will be able to show you varied techniques, and diffirent tactics. If you've caught a couple of fish one way, ask your guide to try something different so that you can maximize the learning experience for the day.

I think the biggest single thing I took away from the Bells was a drastically improved idea of where fish are likely to be and what water is fishy and what is not...

Can highly recommend the Rhodes Bells as well - very different feel to the rivers up there, also more nyphing, but fantastic fishing and lekker vibe.
    Last edited by ebf; 30-09-08 at 12:49 PM.
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

I think they refer to them (guides / hosts / ghilly) as fishing consultants, at least that what Tim Rolston called it if I remeber correctly....
    Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery element are made for wise men to contemplate, and for fools to pass by without consideration - Izaak Walton

I was thinking that earlier.......its challange enough,without it being dry fly only But if he puts me onto fish and can help with my short casting i will be a happy chappy. Jasper is it guiding or hosting at the Bells
    hehe, you worry too much Nick!

I must tell you that strangely enough, it was a dry that caught the most fish last year. The rivers were also a bit on the high side....but a bit of selective pocket fishing with the dry did the trick.
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    hehe, you worry too much Nick!

I must tell you that strangely enough, it was a dry that caught the most fish last year. The rivers were also a bit on the high side....but a bit of selective pocket fishing with the dry did the trick.
    You obviously werent on the Holsloot

But i dont think the Holsloot will be fishable this year so dries just might be the order of the day
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Quote Originally Posted by Umhlangarox View Post
    You obviously werent on the Holsloot

But i dont think the Holsloot will be fishable this year so dries just might be the order of the day
    Here's a tip for the Holsloot, tie some big olive moths. The previous year I was on the Holsloot and my guys cleaned up on moths
    "Innocence is a wild trout. But we humans, being complicated, have to pursue innocence in complex ways" - Datus Proper

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Shelton View Post
    Here's a tip for the Holsloot, tie some big olive moths. The previous year I was on the Holsloot and my guys cleaned up on moths
    Ya i dont think the Hollies will be fishable this year though
    The closer one gets to realizing his destiny, the more that destiny becomes his true reason for being! Paulo Coelho

Ya i dont think the Hollies will be fishable this year though
    The thorough slow moving fisherman is going to battle. I already have my game plan worked out

We have very much been conditioned in SA to fish drag free drifts with dries and dry dropper combinations!

Dont over look fishing across and done as well, it can be really fun and is a completely different feeling especially when the water is up! No harm in trying something different, its a very commonly practiced method of fishing in other countries

We have very much been conditioned in SA to fish drag free drifts with dries and dry dropper combinations!

Dont over look fishing across and done as well, it can be really fun and is a completely different feeling especially when the water is up! No harm in trying something different, its a very commonly practiced method of fishing in other countries
    you guys with your dropper combinations are giving the dry a bad name.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast