Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2 Piece to 4 Piece

Question 2 Piece to 4 Piece

Hi,

Anybody know hoe easy/difficult it is to convert a 2 peice rod into a 4 piece? Costs? Who can do it??

Thanks

Andrew

It is very easy, you could do it yourself.
    All you need to do is to position the rod at the right angle in an open door.
    Then slam the door shut, and you have a 4 piece rod. Very easy.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

It can be done quite easily and cheaply...but it involves putting "spigot" ferrules into the blank where it was cut and must now be joined when assembling the rod. I have never been a fan of spigot ferrules...had a Scott that broke twice right on the ferrules. I will never buy or build a rod again that uses this method of fixing the sections together.
    Of course, this is my opinion...some guys like that system.

Roger Baert in KZN will do it for you, and the cost is not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Korrie View Post
    It is very easy, you could do it yourself.
    All you need to do is to position the rod at the right angle in an open door.
    Then slam the door shut, and you have a 4 piece rod. Very easy.
    Will try that later.. will let you know how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It can be done quite easily and cheaply...but it involves putting "spigot" ferrules into the blank where it was cut and must now be joined when assembling the rod. I have never been a fan of spigot ferrules...had a Scott that broke twice right on the ferrules. I will never buy or build a rod again that uses this method of fixing the sections together.
    Of course, this is my opinion...some guys like that system.

Thanks, Dont think i will be sending it to KZN for that.. Will kepp as is now and then get a 4 piece when i can..

Just for info, Roger is currently in the process of packing up to immigrate to France, so his services won't be available for much longer, or he may have packed it in altogether already, I'm not 100% sure.

This actually might be interesting to try. Correct me if I am wrong but will the extra ferrules not make the rod a bit stiffer and faster. I would imagine the spiggots would be made of graphite, kind of like the materials used for building kite frames.
    Thatís the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isnít good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    This actually might be interesting to try. Correct me if I am wrong but will the extra ferrules not make the rod a bit stiffer and faster. I would imagine the spiggots would be made of graphite, kind of like the materials used for building kite frames.
    Correct, and yes it will make it slightly stiffer (not faster..."fast" action is actually miss-interpreted..."fact action" means the curve is mostly in the top section of the rod (and has zilch to do with the material used)...but has nothing to do with the "speed" of the rod. a "Speedy" rod recovers fast from being loaded with line, and has to do with the material used to construct the fly rod).

Correct, and yes it will make it slightly stiffer (not faster..."fast" action is actually miss-interpreted..."fact action" means the curve is mostly in the top section of the rod (and has zilch to do with the material used)...but has nothing to do with the "speed" of the rod. a "Speedy" rod recovers fast from being loaded with line, and has to do with the material used to construct the fly rod).
    Thanks for clearing that up bud, it makes sense. I almost want to go out and buy a really cheapy rod just to chop it up and convert it. Where other than kite shops can one buy graphite for such a project. When I repaired my stealth I butchered a kite of mine.
    Thatís the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isnít good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

I am also VERY interested in doing this to a Stealth 3wt ... want a short rod to keep permanently in my car for quick visits to Countersmanskloof when I get g@tvol of my office!!

.... so same question as Jason .. where to obtain the graphite spigot material?
    I always wanted to be somebody,but now I realize I should have been more specific.
    Alcohol is the anaesthesia by which we endure the operation of life. GBS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast