Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2 Piece to 4 Piece

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    Do these affect the weight of the rod in any way. Stupid question time.
    Ja but it's negligible. Maybe a couple of grams at the most....just ask any drug dealer how much that is and he will say it's fokkol Take an ounce instead
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Ja but it's negligible. Maybe a couple of grams at the most....just ask any drug dealer how much that is and he will say it's fokkol Take an ounce instead
    yeah the weight is not affected that much (but still is)...it's more the flex of the rod. You are making it stiffer (not faster..."fast" rods means it recovers fast after loading.) The more joints, thread wraps, ferrules, etc...the stiffer the rod.

You will also be affecting the swing weight of the rod...so it may "feel" more heavy when holding it horisontal and waving it side to side.

I'm wondering...why not take a 9 foot section of "kite" graphite rod...taper it down from one end to the other...slap a grip, reelseat and guides on it...and see how it fishes?

Quote Originally Posted by smallstreams.co.za View Post
    You guys are trying to invent the wheel. Old fly rods are used, ie, already tapered. The spigot is "layered" to give wall diameter/strength.
    mmm, ok, let me explain in a bit more detail......
    you have cur yer bottom piece in half, and now need to put the spiggot/old rod/ whatever, inside it for the top half to fit on...... for arguments sake, lets say the interior diameter of the area that you are going to start reinforcing at, is 8mm, and the interior diameter at the hole is 7mm..... how do you get the base of your spigot/old rod (that is presumably 8mm, to sit flush) to go in the 7mm hole ?

(and yes, I know what I've just said.... this question is BOUND to send this thread both off-topic and pear-shaped!..... so no answers involving KY Jelly, Astroglide, or ID Lube please.... )

Quote Originally Posted by Spilogaster View Post
    mmm, ok, let me explain in a bit more detail......
    you have cur yer bottom piece in half, and now need to put the spiggot/old rod/ whatever, inside it for the top half to fit on...... for arguments sake, lets say the interior diameter of the area that you are going to start reinforcing at, is 8mm, and the interior diameter at the hole is 7mm..... how do you get the base of your spigot/old rod (that is presumably 8mm, to sit flush) to go in the 7mm hole ?

(and yes, I know what I've just said.... this question is BOUND to send this thread both off-topic and pear-shaped!..... so no answers involving KY Jelly, Astroglide, or ID Lube please.... )
    I know exactly what you mean, hence I didn't reply the first time. It's a b@ll-ache really...if you want a perfect fit yes, you take off the reelseat's cup and go in from the rear (that sounds nasty ), but you get the idea. The other sections are easy, already open.

I just don't trust the spigot system (Sorry Jasper...have to say this ). I had a Scott...it broke twice on the ferrules. I waited 9 months for the first rod to be replaced, and the second time even longer. When I got it back I sold it. Just my bad experience I guess, but still.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Personally thought it would affect the weight some.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

I see a lot of advise thrown around here from people who are against the spigots and against the cutting of rods, but have never even done it themselves.

If a company like Scott still do it, there must be some merit in it.

Also, I have found the best times to give advise is from experience. If done incorrectly the new spigots will bust, simple as that. It's not an issue of "if it will work", but rather of how well you execure the conversion. I have done conversions incorrectly and the spigots exploded. Went back and redid them properly, and that will hold perfectly!

Rather go out to a couple of flyshops, get as many busted pieces/rods/sections as you can, and start experimenting.

For those worried about weight and action, yes, there will be a difference, I mean, you are cutting up a blank that was designed to fit the sections it came out with. The effect however wil be negligable to 99% of those who fish the rod. The 1% will be the smart-arses who sit behind a keyboad and never even bothered to cast of fish the converted rod.

Would I cut down a 4K + rod?? Simple answer, NO. More top-end rods (whichever brand) are designed according to fairly strict specs, while lower-range rods are mass produced and not really to the extreme specs. So, if I cut down a rod, it'll be a cheapy.

Enjoy the conversions - for those who want a simple DIY .pdf on how I do mine, PM or mail me.
    Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

I see a lot of advise thrown around here from people who are against the spigots and against the cutting of rods, but have never even done it themselves.

If a company like Scott still do it, there must be some merit in it.

Also, I have found the best times to give advise is from experience. If done incorrectly the new spigots will bust, simple as that. It's not an issue of "if it will work", but rather of how well you execure the conversion. I have done conversions incorrectly and the spigots exploded. Went back and redid them properly, and that will hold perfectly!

Rather go out to a couple of flyshops, get as many busted pieces/rods/sections as you can, and start experimenting.

For those worried about weight and action, yes, there will be a difference, I mean, you are cutting up a blank that was designed to fit the sections it came out with. The effect however wil be negligable to 99% of those who fish the rod. The 1% will be the smart-arses who sit behind a keyboad and never even bothered to cast of fish the converted rod.

Would I cut down a 4K + rod?? Simple answer, NO. More top-end rods (whichever brand) are designed according to fairly strict specs, while lower-range rods are mass produced and not really to the extreme specs. So, if I cut down a rod, it'll be a cheapy.

Enjoy the conversions - for those who want a simple DIY .pdf on how I do mine, PM or mail me.
    Jeeeeeeeeez Mario...did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?? Chill dude...I recommend a cup of moer-koffie with three sugars...

The only one opposed to spigot ferrules on this thread was ME...so I'm assuming you are reffering to me. And unlike what you say above, I DO speak from experience. (Did you read the whole thread?)
    I said...I have owned Scotts and my experience was a bad one...It snapped on the ferrule the first time while casting...took nine months to replace. Then the new one snapped on a ferrule AGAIN, while fighting a fish. Took even longer to replace. I have a mate living in Dubai now, who also had a Scott break the same way. So yeah...I don't like the spigot system at all, and wouldn't fish a rod with this system.
    I also however said each to his own...this is my opinion, but many others fish the spigot rods and love them...that's cool too.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Jeeeeeeeeez Mario...did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?? Chill dude...I recommend a cup of moer-koffie with three sugars...

The only one opposed to spigot ferrules on this thread was ME...so I'm assuming you are reffering to me. And unlike what you say above, I DO speak from experience. (Did you read the whole thread?)
    I said...I have owned Scotts and my experience was a bad one...It snapped on the ferrule the first time while casting...took nine months to replace. Then the new one snapped on a ferrule AGAIN, while fighting a fish. Took even longer to replace. I have a mate living in Dubai now, who also had a Scott break the same way. So yeah...I don't like the spigot system at all, and wouldn't fish a rod with this system.
    I also however said each to his own...this is my opinion, but many others fish the spigot rods and love them...that's cool too.

Mike
    It was not directed at you, if you took offence so be it.

Also, you seem to be blurring the line between the ferrules that broke, and the crap service you got from the Scott dealer. Waiting 9 months has othing to do with the ferrules.

My final word on this, go and read the multiple posts in threads pertaining to rods breaking. All rods suffer breakages, even your Albright if I remember correctly, don't blame one system of ferrules.
    Mario Geldenhuys

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

It was not directed at you, if you took offence so be it.

Also, you seem to be blurring the line between the ferrules that broke, and the crap service you got from the Scott dealer. Waiting 9 months has othing to do with the ferrules.

My final word on this, go and read the multiple posts in threads pertaining to rods breaking. All rods suffer breakages, even your Albright if I remember correctly, don't blame one system of ferrules.
    Mario

The crux of my post was about the spigot ferrules breaking twice. The long wait from the supplier was just the cherry on top...but not what the post was about, it was about the ferrules breaking twice for no reason.
    You are right, all rods break...Orvis and Sage have thousands of rods pop every year too.

We used to get along quite well...I see that's come to a screeching halt for reasons unknown to me... So be it then.
    I don't know what I did to offend you...but the tone of your post speaks volumes. Anyway, I appologise for anything I may have said to upset you.

Cheers

Edit and PS: WTF is going on on this forum lately?????
    Last edited by Michael; 03-10-08 at 11:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    We used to get along quite well...I see that's come to a screeching halt for reasons unknown to me... So be it then.
    I don't know what I did to offend you...but the tone of your post speaks volumes. Anyway, I appologise for anything I may have said to upset you.

Cheers

Edit and PS: WTF is going on on this forum lately?????
    You did nothing to upset/offend me, no need to apologise at all. I might be bit irritated today, don't take anything personal.

I'll PM/mail you later (when I feel better)
    Mario Geldenhuys

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast