Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Active Bass

Booger Rose Banned User

Default Active Bass

I've done a bit of bass fishing on a specific piece of water and a new (maybe old) theory is starting in the back of my head. I'm lucky enough to have a small body of water walking distance from where I live, so it is easy to walk down whenever and cast a bit for Bass. The water is very clean and I normally cast to fish I can see. I’ve fished this water now for about a year at all times: early morning, midday, late afternoon and tried few times at night, all seasons.

The best time to go and fish: between 11:30 and 13:30

Tried to think about reasons for this: being I can see the fish better etc. but the bass seems to be more active during this time of day. Jumping after dragonflies and lots of surface activity. To my knowledge and all written accounts on Bass fishing, the golden hours are stated as early morning and late afternoon. Is this only happening on this piece of water, or might this mean that I can plan my bass trippies to other venues to fish the water on midday?

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    I've done a bit of bass fishing on a specific piece of water and a new (maybe old) theory is starting in the back of my head. I'm lucky enough to have a small body of water walking distance from where I live, so it is easy to walk down whenever and cast a bit for Bass. The water is very clean and I normally cast to fish I can see. I’ve fished this water now for about a year at all times: early morning, midday, late afternoon and tried few times at night, all seasons.

The best time to go and fish: between 11:30 and 13:30

Tried to think about reasons for this: being I can see the fish better etc. but the bass seems to be more active during this time of day. Jumping after dragonflies and lots of surface activity. To my knowledge and all written accounts on Bass fishing, the golden hours are stated as early morning and late afternoon. Is this only happening on this piece of water, or might this mean that I can plan my bass trippies to other venues to fish the water on midday?
    The same here, I catch bass all through the day. Just find big lunker bass just go deeper during the midday hours, but they still take flies.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

hmmmmm I've also done quite a bit of bass fishing, and although you do find bass through out the day I can't recall ever finding MORE activity during those hours except maybe in winter!? So there must be a specific reason it's definately not the norm, not in any of the waters i've fished anyway

The bass on my local dam just starting to wake up and for the reasons mentioned by Booger I'm finding them easiest (or least difficult...) round midday when they're easier to spot and as he says, jumping to dragonflies etc. I note they're going round chasing each other in pairs so maybe spring spawning getting into mode
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    The bass on my local dam just starting to wake up and for the reasons mentioned by Booger I'm finding them easiest (or least difficult...) round midday when they're easier to spot and as he says, jumping to dragonflies etc. I note they're going round chasing each other in pairs so maybe spring spawning getting into mode
    That be it CHRIS, but spawning bass can be tricky at times. They will mouth a fly and spit it out before you know it, away from the nest. I love this fishing, it is just like dry fly fishing, intense stuff.
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Exactly, Popper, and using a small one of your namesake or my special 'Lights Out' - a white marabou-winged neutral-density streamer. When the fish takes the 'light' (white wing) goes out!
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Exactly, Popper, and using a small one of your namesake or my special 'Lights Out' - a white marabou-winged neutral-density streamer. When the fish takes the 'light' (white wing) goes out!
    Great stuff this. But never go small to wide lips. GO BIG, GO POSITIVE.

Booger Rose Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    That be it CHRIS, but spawning bass can be tricky at times. They will mouth a fly and spit it out before you know it, away from the nest. I love this fishing, it is just like dry fly fishing, intense stuff.
    I never believed that bass could take the fly and spit it out without you knowing about it but it is so true. fishing in clear water its very frustrating actually seeing the bass take and not having time to strike or not feeling anything on the line. I target them now on top with dragonfy imitations.

I never believed that bass could take the fly and spit it out without you knowing about it but it is so true. fishing in clear water its very frustrating actually seeing the bass take and not having time to strike or not feeling anything on the line. I target them now on top with dragonfy imitations.
    Believe it.!! They are crafty specimen. Not talking about young bass that hit anything that moves here. Decent bass are just as wary as trout/browns. Will and can make you WEEP.

Dave

I'm lucky enough to have a small body of water walking distance from where I live, so it is easy to walk down whenever and cast a bit for Bass.
    And might one enquire as to the location of said piece of water my good man?
    Clive

"One final cast for luck, and the really last throw in honour of a fair lady ... If they don't rise to that, they are no gentlemen" - Anon

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast