Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Big Leerie flies

Default Big Leerie flies

I would like to ask any of the guys who have caught leeries over 80 cm to tell me on what fly they caught the fish and how they enticed the fish to bite. These bigger fish can be very picky and it would be interesting to see on what flies guys have picked big fish up on and in what conditions?

Hi justin

I've never caught a 80cm fl plus leerie. So I can't really add value to your post, but i'm planning a trip up to witsands and I was wondering if you might be there or at least be able to give me some advice. What flies and retrieves were working for you?

Also do you know of any backpackers accomodation or campsites?

Thanks
    Liam
    "We all fish for our own enjoyment - me for mine and you for yours, nobody can say what is right and what is wrong." - Jim Leisenring

Well first of all there is various accommodation depending on ones budget. There is a large camp site that is widely used and looks excellent. The camp site seems very popular is it was full to the brim last week. There should however be plenty of space now. There are various other bed and breakfasts such as Whale Watchers Inn. See http://www.witsandtourism.co.za/accom/index.html

Now onto the fishing. There are various areas that are good for throwing a fly. If garrick is your quarry one should fish the water on the bank opposite the hotel on a pushing tide as well as the actual mouth. There are old fish traps in the mouth itself on the opposite side of witsands which attract huge shoals of mullet and huge garrick up to 15-20kg. Getting them to take your fly is the next problem. They are clever, very clever. I myself have never landed such a beast but they are there! I find big flies mean big fish (most of the time). You have to give a large fish a reason to eat your fly. Crease flies, poppers and flippers work well for prospecting water. But i find these flies just do not do the trick for the bigger fish. Once you have located fish change to a large clouser around 15cm in length or a silicone mullet and strip fast but not to fast. Keep the strip steady until you get the hit and keep stripping till the fish turns and runs. Fish heavier tippets if there are big fish, trust me i lost far to many fish last week fishing light tippet. I fish with a 7 weight for the fun of it but a 9 even a 10 weight is the best as the wind pumps. A heavier rod it better for the big flies. Fly wise clousers in olive, grey and brown as well as the usual flippers and crease flies.

If you want to target monster fish one should head upriver by boat all the way to the white house. Early mornings are best with sinking lines or sink tips. Walk in the grunter shallows near drop offs. Most of the fishing is blind but look out for a hunting monster, a fish that hits 5 pound mullets must be big so if you are lucky enough to have a splashing beast near you get your fly in front of him. He is turned on so if he sees your fly you should have a hit. Beware fishing upriver is hard and has very few rewards but when they come they are large. Also if you are adventurous enough fish the surf at the mouth on a low tide as it turns focusing on the various channels. Beware of fast pushing tides and seriously dangerous rip currents. All these areas require boat access except the surf ( One can drive to Infanta and fish the mouth). One has to have there own boat or you can charter a boat from the Breede River Lodge but i believe it is quite expensive. If you cannot access a boat there are other options. Fishing the point at the mouth is a really good spot on the pushing tide. One can walk there as it is on the witsand side. One can also walk along the rocks from the hotel towards Oysterbeds which is to the right if one is standing at the Breede River Lodge looking at the river. Work the channels and rips and you should get fish.

Well good luck, pray for a south easter, the north wester is posion. Tight lines, when do u plan to go down?

Justin, Excellent fishing, excellent report and great pictures. Thanks very much. I agree with you about the bigger Leeries. My biggest have been caught on BEEEG siliclones. I dont think it is the fly that is important so much as the size. I have had chases from very big fish at Witsand (and Blakes) but have yet to find a big enough fly to get them to take. They seem to be swimming in slo-mo and checking the fly out - very, very wary and clever. Big Leeries are caught on plugs though, so how big a popper can you tie, and can you cast it successfully in a howling S easter???

Popovics has a number of ingeneus ways of tying big flies - see Popfleyes. Might be worth experimenting with them. What do you think?

I was also thinking about really big poppers - has anyone tried them?

They will be a ***** to cast though - the biggest items I have in my possession at the moment are bad enough.

what do you use to create a really hard head on a fly such as a clouser with a hard, built up, see-through head?

Default Salwater heads

I use quicksetting clear epoxy, mixed on a very smooth surface with a plastic icecream spoon and it stops bubbles in the mix.

Gallen

Try Highbuild rod building epoxy. The drawback is that you need a rotisserie to get the stuff to set nicely, but it is rock hard and never turns yellow.

To get the bubbles out you simply mix it on a piece of Tinfoil and then heat the epoxy with a cigarette lighter. All the bubbles pop.

The best flies for big Leeries are decent sized poppers. They don't need to be huge because the bubble trail hides the real fly and simply gives the impression of size. Personally I find the length more important than having a oversized face area. Six inches should do it with a 12 - 14 mm face.

Cheers
    MC

MC

What retrieve do you favour with these big poppers?

Arthur

The faster, the better. Double handed retrieve is the only way.

If fish eat the fly, but you fail to connect solidly, then attach a stinger hook so that it sits right at the tip of the tail. A short piece of 30 lbs mono tied to the bend of the first hook can be used to attach the second.
    Leeries always chase a fly from behind, but they hit a fly from the side and with a long tailed pattern you will sometimes find that the hook point does not make solid contact. The stinger sorts this problem out really well.

Cheers
    MC

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast