Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Slammer Fly

Smile Slammer Fly

Hi has anyone got a picture and how to tie a Slammer salt water fly.
    I have found one but the instructions are not that clear.
    Thanks

Isnt this pattern similar to the flashy profile used for GT's etc etc?
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Hi Stephan.
    From what I can gather it is a very large weighted deceiver using lead and schlappen hackle it also incorporates buck tail.

Search for some pictures on the web... We tie some variations locally of the same fly/streamer with naturals and some with synthetics.

Sedotti’s Slammer
    Instructions Below
    Tier: Gil Stacy

During the fall of the year, when the menhaden start leaving the Savannah River, this fly is my favorite for large stripers. It offers a large, flat profile, similar to bunkers, and I have caught my largest striper to date on it, a 39" fish.

Mark Sedotti published this pattern and my version is a modification of it. If I have to hunt more than five minutes for materials in the clutter of my tying room, I use something else.

Materials:

Hook size #6/0.
    Lead fuse wire.
    Lead strips "Twistons."
    White nylon thread, flat waxed.
    White schlappen hackle.
    Olive hackle or dyed grizzly or peacock herl.
    Pink Krystal Flash.
    Pearlescent Krystal Flash.
    Olive bucktail.
    White bucktail.
    Epoxy eyes.

The depicted fly is 8" long. Because of its weight and bulk a 10 wt rod fly should be used.

This is the first pattern that I have seen that relies on schlappen feathers from a chicken. During tying, I anchor materials as I go with head cement. Probably overkill, but it’s like chicken soup for a cold. It doesn’t hurt. Tying this fly violates my number one precept: I don’t like to tie flies that take longer to tie than to lose. This is the exception. It is too effective not to use.

Clamp in a 6/0 saltwater hook and wrap fuse wire for body weight. Attach several lead strips (Twistons) to the inside of the shank, bind with tying white thread or dental floss. Coat with nail polish. This creates a keel, helping the fly to maintain sideways profile to the current.

On the top of the hook shank just above the point, tie in two pairs of schlappen, curved together like praying hands. On the bottom of the keel, tie in two more pair, same as above. I use the entire hackle, leaving the "chicabou" on the stem. The longer the better.

Just ahead of the schlappen, on the top of the shank, tie in 10 strands of full length of pink Krystal Flash, bind down in the middle of the full length with a turn or two of thread and fold back to the rear and bind down so that 20 strands trail to rear of hook. Tied in this way, it won’t pull out later. Trim slightly longer than longest hackle.

On top of the shank, just above the top pair of schlappen, tie in two pair of olive colored saddle hackle, dyed grizzly, or substitute 15-20 strands of full length peacock herl.

On top of the shank, you will begin to stack clumps of olive bucktail, tied hi-tie style. On the bottom of the shank, you should begin to stack clumps of white bucktail. You will have to alternate top and bottom clumps to facilitate tying. This is when I wish I had a rotary vise.

Alternate tying top and bottom clumps of bucktail. To do this without a rotary vise, it's easier to remove hook and turn over than to attempt to tie bottom clumps with hook in normal position.

Tie in a clump of white bucktail on each side of fly, to give thickness to fly and to hide the upper shank and bottom bucktail tie-ins.

Tie in schlappen hackles, two pair per side on top of the bucktail tied in at step 7.

Take a full length of pearlescent Krystal Flash, tie in a middle, fold down both sides and bind it to the head so that it runs down the lateral line of the fly.

Whip finish head, soak with head cement.

Add epoxy eyes to side of the head, or cement with silicone cement doll eyes.

Thanks
    I will have a look

Wow...i was abit off the mark there
    stephen is wishing he was fishing location x right now.......

Stephen Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Hi has anyone got a picture and how to tie a Slammer salt water fly.
    I have found one but the instructions are not that clear.
    Thanks
    What are you hoping to use it for?

I think it is for off shore Mozambique, it is for someone else.
    If it is do you have some other sugestions he could use instead of the slammer.

Check out this tread, the Slamer gets mentioned with some tips ect.
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=3485
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post
    Check out this tread, the Slamer gets mentioned with some tips ect.
    http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=3485
    HI Deewy,

Tried searching for a S.B.S., came up with zilch.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast