Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Middelbek

Wow, this is turning into as much of a fiasco as the goliath tiger thing. Bet a lot of you have "ICE" saved on your cellphone, have nigerian friends trying to clear their dead uncles money through your account and forward microsoft emails to all your mates because Bill gates will send you cash... Try this it really works

The true "middelbek" are suspected of being a hybridisation of largemouth and small mouth yellows occuring in the Taung dam as NC Bass has posted.
    Check your knots!

Post a pic and a voting poll - let the masses decide if its a klipbaber or not??

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    The true "middelbek" are suspected of being a hybridisation of largemouth and small mouth yellows occuring in the Taung dam as NC Bass has posted.
    if you think they only occur in Taung, you're wrong.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieë" - Ago 2014.

Kom manne wys my 'n foto!!

Dit klink interresant!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scythe View Post

Technically speaking the SmallMouth and LargeMouth spawn at completely different times in the year so even though it's possible, the chances would be slim. Then again you never know when a big SM starts living under delusions of being a LM.
    LM spawn later on in summer, while SM spawn from the first rains in summer...but, the SM spawn at least three times a season. The last one does occur when the LM spawn, so it's totally possible for inter-breeding to take place. We've seen SM spawn on the Vaal as late as February.

I must say though...I've been fishing Sterkfontein for the last 9 years, and never caught anything resembling a "middelbek". The SM look like SM, and the LM look like LM. But given the numbers of yellows in that dam, and their spawning up in the rivers, it certainly is possible I guess. I've seen LM cruising with SM in the dam...they do not avoid each other. And if spawning taks place at the same time, it's feasible.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
    This was something they picked up in the Taung Dam. They had a full article on it in the Original Flyfisherman about two months ago. The reason was that the Smallmouths and the Largemouths started cross breeding. Thus the whole fuss!
    Quote Originally Posted by C J View Post
    Slaan my met 'n pap snoek........ek het nooit geweet so iets bestaan nie!!! Does someone have a pic of this fish?

Ex DWAF aquatic scientist Ramogale Sekwele, now assistant director DWAF Pretoria.
    Save our Yellows!

I not in any way accustomed to things yellowfish, but damn, those look like scissors????? DO LMs have scissors?

Mario Geldenhuys
    Smallstream fanatic, plus I do some other things that I can't tell you about

"All the tips or magical insights in the world can't replace devotion, dedication, commitment, and gumption - and there is not secret in that" - Glenn Brackett

We'll here is two pics of normal largemouth, lets compare!

Quote Originally Posted by Pipe View Post
    We'll here is two pics of normal largemouth, lets compare!
    Where is the guy in the 2nd pic nowadays?

G

Don't know about you, but it looks like a largemouth to me, what do you guys think?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast