Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Algae Fly for Mullet!?

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Maybe you should've dipped your fly in a tin of John West prawn sauce!

Anyway better luck next time!
    HE HE..Now u talking my language.
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

http://pipersystem.com

Chartreuse egg fly and #12 white flipper ace for mullet! Caught a lot on those two flies at De-mond. First tie on the white flipper, then attach 4x tippet to bend of hook. Make the length about 30cm and attach #12 chart egg fly and drift over weed beds. Magic!. DOn't need chum.
    May the fish be with you!!! www.seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com

That seems like a bloody good idea. Gnna try that next time out fo sho. Is the flipper just supposed to act as a strike indicator or do you actually strip to get them curious and then let it drift?
    That’s the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn’t good enough for me! I demand euphoria! (Calvin and Hobbes)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Weaver View Post
    Howzit guys. I'm VERY new to the saltwater fly scene and heard recently of an algae fly tied with olive marabou that works well for mullet. Anyone know anything about it, how to tie it etc?
    I know wher you can buy an excellent DVD on catching Mullet which includes tying instructions
    Regards
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by ArcherFish View Post
    I know wher you can buy an excellent DVD on catching Mullet which includes tying instructions
    Please share

From Netbooks perchance?
    Around the steel no tortur'd worm shall twine, No blood of living insect stain my line;
    Let me, less cruel, cast feather'd hook, With pliant rod athwart the pebbled brook,
    Silent along the mazy margin stray, And with fur-wrought fly delude the prey

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Weaver View Post
    Howzit guys. I'm VERY new to the saltwater fly scene and heard recently of an algae fly tied with olive marabou that works well for mullet. Anyone know anything about it, how to tie it etc?
    HI Ryan,

The shaggy shrimp as posted in T.C.F.F. in March 2007, issue 148, page 30.

I tie it using baby marabou and gets winded onto the shank like palmering a hackle. You could spin normal marabou and get this bushy appearance.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

The mullet DVD is very good, have not tried the flies in it yet, but will soon. Netbooks does stock it.

The mullet eat the flipper dead drifted, but it can be twitched. Also catches Cape Moonies and the odd small leervis on the drift. Mostly used to suspend the egg fly and act as an indicator. Also caught well using a chart hares ear nymph under the flipper. #12 or 14 works well.

Hope this helps.
    May the fish be with you!!! www.seanmillsflyfishing.weebly.com

Thanks Boet. This will save the wife K@kking me out about clothes and tackle smelling like anchovy oil.

Quote Originally Posted by FishWhisperer View Post
    From Netbooks perchance?
    Yes, I think Netbooks has nice DVD on Mullet
    Regards
    Craig

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2