Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bulk Mylar Tubing

Wiets Banned User

Default Bulk Mylar Tubing

Does anybody know where I can buy Mylar Tubing in bulk volumes? I'm not looking to buy pre-packaged
    Mylar Tubing in a large number of packages - I want to buy Mylar tubing in rolls (hundreds of meters).
    You can also PM me if you prefer.

just thinking back here, I've only bought it from the ff shops....what other use would the mylar be used for....electrical field maybe? just trying to narrow options down a bit
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by rols View Post
    just thinking back here, I've only bought it from the ff shops....what other use would the mylar be used for....electrical field maybe? just trying to narrow options down a bit
    There are some Mylar sleeving available (to sleeve electrical wires). Some are useable for fly fishing but it is primarily gold and silver in colour. There are many other available colours as sold in the major fly shops. This Mylar is sold in bulk rolls which is then packaged by dealers/distributors - at a premium.

ok, just wanted to know what the original use could be. Will speak to Terence in the morning, he's dam sharp with things like that.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

Wiets Banned User

Some people call it Mylar "piping" - amongst other places, piping is used in the upholstery and bedding business. It is normally used to cover or hide a joint.

cool
    I think Jason might have some input as well. Need to "bump" the topic in the morning again for more input

Absolutely no idea where you can get it in bulk, but if I can just add 2c on the subject of mylar since it's a material I often use:

I've bought many many different "brands" of mylar, and I can say that for flytying this stuff certainly isn't all created equal. Out of all the types of mylar I have, I've tended to gravitate towards the stuff from Wapsi and Fishient(local company). Reason being, it has a nice tight weave and so don't just unravel if you simply look at it funny.

The loosely woven stuff many people sell is useless and just a pain in the arse to work with. The tightly woven stuff can still be unravelled if this is what you want it to do, but stays interwoven whilst you're working with it, if you don't want it unravelled.

I think if you're looking to buy in the volumes you're talking about, try to find some with a nice tight weave.

Colour wise, Wapsi seems to have the most colours available out of any other brand I have managed to find available in small quantities. The colours I use and like the most are Pearl, Copper, Olive and Black Pearl.
    Last edited by ShaunF; 23-10-08 at 07:31 AM.

Good morning

You can buy fine diameter mylar from haberdasheries on rolls of whatever length. The larger dioameters are tough to find in bulk.

The manufacturer (distributor?) of most flash materials is a company called Hedron.

As far as quality is concerned, I agree with Shaun where it's used in
    freshwater flies but for saltwater flies I prefer the softer and loosely woven stuff.

In freshwater it is mostly used for Zonker type patterns where a robust body is a distinct advantage. In salt flies it is mainly used in flies such as the Gotcha where a soft mylar wraps tighter and creates less bulk at the tying off point. When building mylar poppers, the softer stuff also expands better when pulled over the foam body and it creates better movement in the tail.

Colour wise the pearl is by far the most used colour in salt flies.

Cheers
    MC

Getting the big sizes from 3/8 to 5/8" tubing is tough, if you find any let me know!

You can try these guys http://www.e-zbody.com/default.php. How far down the actual production line they are, I am not sure of.

As sated by MCC Hedroninc supplies/manufacture for the total fishing industry.

Hedron, Inc.
    402 N. Main St.
    Stillwater, MN 55082
    Fax: 651-430-9607

All probably manufactured in Mr. Fook u Too's factory in China, but no idea where to start looking for his details.

Wrt fly tying materials, does anyone know the real story around the lack of fly tying materials in Cpt . I have been around to all the local shops and they have all been expecting a consignment in the next week for the last two months. Items like hooks, dumbell eyes, bucktail, synthetc materials, flash all either very expensive or not available.
    wat weet 'n mol van kaas

There we where, 10 against a thousand and boy did we get F@ked up, all 1000 of us

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person

Isnt it ironic, we want to save the planet, should we not be saving ourselves. Btw did someone tell you your fuze is lit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.