Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rainbows - St. Ives - KZN Midlands

Default Rainbows - St. Ives - KZN Midlands

Had to attend a wedding in the Midlands. The in-laws and I sneaked off to try our hand at fly fishing Saturday morning.

Managed to catch two Rainbow trout with a combined weight of 1.5kg's Unfortunately not released as you had to keep the trout that you caught.

Used an Explorer 5/6wt, sinking line and a walker's killer red.

Not bad for a first attempt at fly fishing More luck than anything else I'd say
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

HI Andre,

Well done, not just luck, you were doing something right to get them. Nice going.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Well Done.

It can't be luck if you intended to do something and then you successfully do it.

Thanks guys

At this point in time I'll call it luck - until I catch my 3rd, 4th, etc. trout

The weather was cold and a slight drizzle decided to grace us with its presence and that made me decide to fish the fly on the bottom with a slow retrieve.

Now to get a light outfit as well. I think my 8/9wt outfit will be a tad too heavy for trout, but will have to do for now
    André

Fly fishing noob

It is curious - curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare ~ Mark Twain

HI Andre,

5wt is great for stillwater trout ff. 8/9wt is a bit of overkill.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Thanks Dave. I thought it might be a bit of a overkill

I'll keep my eyes open for a nice 5wt outfit
    André

Fly fishing noob

Well done. A 5 or 6 will suit both trout stillwaters as well as the Vaal. Choose carefully, very carefully.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Herman, I will choose very carefully

Being a total novice to the fly fishing game (for trout), which weight rod would you recommend for stillwaters and why?? I'm not interested in fly fishing for trout in rivers, so I would say that excludes weights #0 to #4??
    André

Fly fishing noob

Quote Originally Posted by KB280DT View Post
    Herman, I will choose very carefully

Being a total novice to the fly fishing game (for trout), which weight rod would you recommend for stillwaters and why?? I'm not interested in fly fishing for trout in rivers, so I would say that excludes weights #0 to #4??
    I am as much as a novice, especially as far as trout are concerned. Byron is still trying to convince me that they are as much fun as yellows ( unsuccessfully I must add ).
    My input on a trout stick will therefore be totally unjustified.
    I will let the trooot manne answer this one
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    I am as much as a novice, especially as far as trout are concerned. Byron is still trying to convince me that they are as much fun as yellows ( unsuccessfully I must add ).
    My input on a trout stick will therefore be totally unjustified.
    I will let the trooot manne answer this one
    Well I can truly say that they were fun on a 5wt , but I haven't caught yellowfish either

Awaiting answers from the trout experts eagerly
    André

Fly fishing noob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast