Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woolly Buggers for SM

Excellent article Scythe.

Thanks for sharing. That is helpful to novices and experienced flyfishermen.

Yes very well written and highly accurate.
    If you go back about 6 or 7 years, many of the older timers will tell you that at one stage it was the method of choice for fishing for yellows before more advanced nymphing techniques were brought back to SA by the Protea team to the World Champs. I remember a group of guys going up from Cape Town to the Orange river, and fishing bugger techniques with some success. Korrie, Tim rolston, John Yelland, Anthony Spillabien (remember him) were some of the original guys who were instrumental in moving the traditional method of catching yellows from buggers to shortline and Czech nymphing. I would like to hear Korries take on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Yes very well written and highly accurate.
    If you go back about 6 or 7 years, many of the older timers will tell you that at one stage it was the method of choice for fishing for yellows before more advanced nymphing techniques were brought back to SA by the Protea team to the World Champs. I remember a group of guys going up from Cape Town to the Orange river, and fishing bugger techniques with some success. Korrie, Tim rolston, John Yelland, Anthony Spillabien (remember him) were some of the original guys who were instrumental in moving the traditional method of catching yellows from buggers to shortline and Czech nymphing. I would like to hear Korries take on this.
    The first guys to develop "short-line" nymphing (derived from CZN nymphing) was Garth Wellman, Armand Flies and Keith Wallington. They in turn showed Tim the method, firstly on the Vaal (where he duly landed his first 5.2kg yellow using this method on the very first day out with Keith and Garth), From there I think Tim took it back to CT. It was really an adaption of CZN, and then later guys also did the proper or original CZN as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The first guys to develop "short-line" nymphing (derived from CZN nymphing) was Garth Wellman, Armand Flies and Keith Wallington. They in turn showed Tim the method, firstly on the Vaal (where he duly landed his first 5.2kg yellow using this method on the very first day out with Keith and Garth), From there I think Tim took it back to CT. It was really an adaption of CZN, and then later guys also did the proper or original CZN as well.
    Yes quite possibly Michael. i was referring to the Cape guys who who have been fishing the Orange with WoolyB's for years. Long before CZN came to this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Michael,
    The first SA team to the world's in 2001 brought back CNZ.
    If, and a big if, my memory serves me right the team consisted of Mark Yelland, Robert van Rensburg, MC Coetzer, Fred Steynberg,Garth Wellman, Apologies if I did forget other names. They introduced it to the likes of Armand and Keith and the rest of the history as stated by you.
    Korrie Broos

Don't go knocking on Death's door, ring the bell and run like hell. He hates it. (anon)
    Nymphing, adds depth to your fly fishing.
    Nymphing, is fly fishing in another dimension

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12