Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The effect of Water Depth on Fly Colour

Default The effect of Water Depth on Fly Colour

Found this artcile in the African Fly-Fishing Handbook - Bill Hansford-Steele:

Depth Colour
    Surface Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Black
    3 m Rusty Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Black
    6 m Brown Rusty Yellow Green Blue Violet Black
    10 m Sepia Brown Cream Green Blue Violet Black
    13 m Black Sepia White Green Blue Violet Black
    18 m Black Black Grey Grey-Green Blue Violet Black
    21 m Black Black Black Grey Deep-Blue Violet Black

The reason I post this article, is that I have had major success fishing for SM using violet or blue flies in summer rapids, when no other fly would produce.

Looking at the chart above, one can see that Blue, Black and Violet colours remain consistent regardless of depth. I conceed that a rapid may not be 3M deep, but fishing NZ Style the fish may have a horizontal / oblique view which could be in excess of 3M when the fly is drifting down, making it that much more visible???

Just my 2c....

One of the reasons I posted U.V. flies that I tie that are outfishing other good flies but have had very little response to them. Maybe comming from someone else the guys will at least try them on S.M. and L.M.

Glad you have discovered the importance of ultra violet. Tight lines.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Dave, I have looked for UV material at a number of FF Shops without luck. Where do you get yours. PS: my wife comes from PE, if it is a shop there, I know there area well....

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyr View Post
    Dave, I have looked for UV material at a number of FF Shops without luck. Where do you get yours. PS: my wife comes from PE, if it is a shop there, I know there area well....
    Check out Harelines web for all the materials, but they only sell to dealers. If you dont come right, P.M. me for info on how to get it.

Dave
    Handle every situation like a dog.- If you cant hump it, piss on it and walk away. --JASPER.

Eish, I only deal in the good stuff..... Will send you a PM

Wiets Banned User

Found this artcile in the African Fly-Fishing Handbook - Bill Hansford-Steele:

Depth Colour
    Surface Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Black
    3 m Rusty Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Black
    6 m Brown Rusty Yellow Green Blue Violet Black
    10 m Sepia Brown Cream Green Blue Violet Black
    13 m Black Sepia White Green Blue Violet Black
    18 m Black Black Grey Grey-Green Blue Violet Black
    21 m Black Black Black Grey Deep-Blue Violet Black

The reason I post this article, is that I have had major success fishing for SM using violet or blue flies in summer rapids, when no other fly would produce.

Looking at the chart above, one can see that Blue, Black and Violet colours remain consistent regardless of depth. I conceed that a rapid may not be 3M deep, but fishing NZ Style the fish may have a horizontal / oblique view which could be in excess of 3M when the fly is drifting down, making it that much more visible???

Just my 2c....
    Colours do change as one goes deeper and colours will change differently depending on the clarity of the water - in murkier waters, the colours will change in shallower depths and vice verse. However, the detailed colour change table above is not quite accurate. Take red for example, unlike the table above, it is more likely to change;

Surface Red
    3 m Orange
    6 m Yellow
    10 m Yellow Green
    13 m Green
    18 m Dark grey
    21 m Black

One can actually observe these changes whilst scuba diving under certain conditions. All of the above will greatly depend on the water clarity and will change at shollower or deeper depths. However, once red become black, it will be pitch black and no other colour will be visible to the "human eye". It is proven that Ultra Violet light (outside the visible light spectrum for humans) are still reflected under such low light conditions. The jury is still out whether fish are able to see beyond the human light spectrum or not. Although some will believe, others are against this argument, they still have to produce scientific proof that fish can indeed see outside the human light spectrum. Then there is the issue of which species are able to do so.

My 2 cents.

Just my 2c....

Got to do with light wave degradation rather than actual depth, as not all water is equally "clear". Hence why blue flies are apparently the business in the vaal with its dodgy viz even though the rapids are not very deep at all.

That said I've never caught a flippen thing in the vaal on blue and I've tried it often
    Check your knots!

There is a big difference between blue and u.v. I came across the debate that Wiets is talking about wheather fish see beyond the human spectrum while googling u.v. info. I also came across an article in which some scientist said that fish do, even sea creatures 100dreds of meters down make use of u.v. light. My 2cents.

I believe in using U.V. materials, period, fresh or saltwater.

Dave

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Got to do with light wave degradation rather than actual depth, as not all water is equally "clear". Hence why blue flies are apparently the business in the vaal with its dodgy viz even though the rapids are not very deep at all.

That said I've never caught a flippen thing in the vaal on blue and I've tried it often
    That goes without saying. Quite so.

Wiets Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by poppernel View Post
    There is a big difference between blue and u.v. I came across the debate that Wiets is talking about wheather fish see beyond the human spectrum while googling u.v. info. I also came across an article in which some scientist said that fish do, even sea creatures 100dreds of meters down make use of u.v. light. My 2cents. I believe in using U.V. materials, period, fresh or saltwater. Dave
    Whilst standing on the surface and unable to see the available light in the water column means that it is subjective what caused a fish strike. BTW. I am all for UV materials.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast