Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Catfish on the Liesbek, Newlands

Default Catfish on the Liesbek, Newlands

I go to school at Westerford high at Newlands. The Liesbek river runs right next to it and i was wondering are there any cats in it? If so where are they, i have not looked at the river yet but could i fish for a walking distance for my school. I am no experiance fly fisherman so if the casting is tricky (i.e. lots of trees behind me) i don't think things will go so well. Has any one caught anything there, if so on what?

Cheers

hey sebastiaan. i have heard that mr whiskers lives there as well as carp. but i havent been there myself... i would love to join you some time if you want? im in matric now.... what grade you in??

Cheers
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiaan View Post
    I go to school at Westerford high at Newlands. The Liesbek river runs right next to it and i was wondering are there any cats in it? If so where are they, i have not looked at the river yet but could i fish for a walking distance for my school. I am no experiance fly fisherman so if the casting is tricky (i.e. lots of trees behind me) i don't think things will go so well. Has any one caught anything there, if so on what?

Cheers
    Firstly welcome to the forum, i play golf at Rondebosch a few times a year in the summer on various golf days and i often watch lots of catfish activty in the river while searching for my many lost balls,especially in the area of the 10th hole where the course crosses over the river,now,i have never fished for them but have it on good authourity that there is some big fish in there,and chicken livers are the key,if your going for them on fly anything big wooly and shiny
    I think no innocent species of wit or pleasantry should be suppressed; and that a good pun may be admitted among the smaller excellencies of lively conversation.
    James Boswell.

[T]his planet is covered with sordid men who demand that he who spends time fishing shall show returns in fish. ~Leonidas Hubbard, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiaan View Post

Cheers
    Yup, they are there, and in numbers and size. The few guys I know that have fished for them, have had the best success at the inlet that flows from the River club Golf course. best times are early morning, and evening.
    Flies that work are san juan worms, , black wooly b's, and just about everything else.
    You will probably need a 7wy rod.
    Please dont ask me for any advice on tactics etc, as I have never fished there, just giving you second hand advice.

As a matter of interest. not meaning to steal the thread, but I am sure it will help sebastiaan as well. What tippet will one use for the barbel? 1x - 0x ? fluoro? are they tippet shy at all or are they just plain stupid?

Cheers
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Woolybugger View Post
    As a matter of interest. not meaning to steal the thread, but I am sure it will help sebastiaan as well. What tippet will one use for the barbel? 1x - 0x ? fluoro? are they tippet shy at all or are they just plain stupid?

Cheers
    Chris
    no, they are not tippet shy at all. I would suggest a straight 15 pound mono, don't bother with tapered leader, as you don't need anything delicate. In fact, you need just the opposite for barbel. It works quite well when you splash the fly on the water a few times in the same spot, and draw the fish's attention before letting the fly settle. Remember that the water there is somewhat..well...cloudy. so the fish are going to go for some form of disturbance, and not always for visible food.

Thanks Andre, very good advice! i will have to try for them some time soon. i assume they will reach well over 10kgs there? is the water deep enough?

Cheers
    Chris

Andre on wiskerfish in general I would probably agree with you but the fish in the lisbeek and black river are very skittish and damn cleaver !!ever bergie and his mate has a go at those guys so they spook at splashes

Ive had best success with "big"(8)(fat chenille) san juan worms(Red,Olive and tan) weighted cast 1m in front of cruising fish and twitch gently as they approach (make sure the fly moves away from the fish )

there are some nice open patches across from the circus school

and there are also some monster carp but to date I have only managed to fool the juniors

/d
    What ever you do never confuse Fishing With catching Fish !!!!
    Fish Are Friends Not Food

But your reasoning has a fatal flaw; it overlooks the fact that to comprehend it requires that one rub a few brain cells against each other. The heat thus generated produces the light that illuminates the fact, but alas, not everybody has the resource required to fuel the process --SG

woolybugger: I am in Gr 9. What school do you go to? If you still want to we could go do so fishing.

I own a 8 weight fly rod which i guess would work well.
    I brought a 'barbel kit' which is 8 different coloured half bunnies, i also own a stack of woolly buggers.

Anyway tomorrow while i wait for waterpolo i will check out the river without any tackle. I will take some pics.

Cheers

Im matric at somcol. im keen to go some time. i have one or 2 other buddies that are pretty keen so whenever you wanna go just let me know! works pretty hectic but i can make a plan. i can always make a plan for fishing!

Cheers
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast