Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Vioolsdriff - Orange River

Booger Rose Banned User

This sounds like awesome fishing. Please give more info on flies (or did they take anything - even the olive wooly bugger), tactics and pictures.

I had pleasure of playing few yellows the past weekend on the Vaal, and some of them know how to keep you busy, don't know how you manage to take 50 fish and still fish. I normally take a break after a good stretch and try to relive the greatest moment while eating a sandwich and resting the arm a bit. Did you take any Muddies? Also nice fun on the fly.

Hey Eduard, where's the report back and pics
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Booger Rose Banned User

Hi Herman, will do that, just waiting for my so-called friends to mail me a few photos. We had a great day, but did not take 250 yellows!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    Hi Herman, will do that, just waiting for my so-called friends to mail me a few photos. We had a great day, but did not take 250 yellows!!!
    I'm curious, were you at the venue that we discussed?
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

Booger Rose Banned User

Jip, we went to Strome and the venue was exactly the same as when I last fished it in 2003. Even took my first fish on my normal spot, crossing to the first island and just making a quick drift for the "maybe there is a fish" fish! Will continue tomorow on the Vaal thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Booger Rose View Post
    This sounds like awesome fishing. Please give more info on flies (or did they take anything - even the olive wooly bugger), tactics and pictures.
    We caught them all Czech Nymphing. The yellows took on all nymphs - control flies, ptn's etc. They also seemed to like anything with blue in it (thanks Nick). They also loved red beads super glued to hook (called Daves Candy - something or the other). Leonard Williams did try dry flies but no takes. We did not try woolly buggers.
    Clive

"One final cast for luck, and the really last throw in honour of a fair lady ... If they don't rise to that, they are no gentlemen" - Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Salty Bugger View Post
    We caught them all Czech Nymphing. The yellows took on all nymphs - control flies, ptn's etc. They also seemed to like anything with blue in it (thanks Nick). They also loved red beads super glued to hook (called Daves Candy - something or the other). Leonard Williams did try dry flies but no takes. We did not try woolly buggers.
    What you describe, is typical Lower Orange tactics, and it sounds like you hit it right on the button.
    I take it for granted that you will be going back there sometime....

i thought i would send these pic's from a trip, i did 3 years ago down the same section. We put in on the namibia side and drifted down stream for 5 days. By far the best local trip i have ever done. How about getting roast lamb as a meal on day 5? My next trip is being planned for next year around the augrabies area. Another drift and a shovel for the toilet!!
    Can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    What you describe, is typical Lower Orange tactics, and it sounds like you hit it right on the button.
    I take it for granted that you will be going back there sometime....
    You got that right my mate Can't wait
    Clive

"One final cast for luck, and the really last throw in honour of a fair lady ... If they don't rise to that, they are no gentlemen" - Anon

Quote Originally Posted by garyatstealth View Post
    i thought i would send these pic's from a trip, i did 3 years ago down the same section. We put in on the namibia side and drifted down stream for 5 days. By far the best local trip i have ever done. How about getting roast lamb as a meal on day 5? My next trip is being planned for next year around the augrabies area. Another drift and a shovel for the toilet!!
    Can't wait.
    Please let me know if you do go and have space for an extra. I'll do it at the drop of a hat
    Clive

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6