Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nymph Style Control Flies ??????

Default Nymph Style Control Flies ??????

I've been thinking ( yeaah, yeaah I can sometimes )

Every "control " fly that I have seen or tied has been a Caddis pupae pattern, in sizes 8 - 12 on either scud or BH-55 bait hooks.

The only Nymph I've ever seen in a #10 is a Stonefly nymph, and on the Vaal this only occurs in a very special section below the dam wall.

The Stoneflies DO NOT occur below the barrage.

What is the largest nymph you would tie for below the Barrage, and how would you weight it as a "control" fly , bearing in mind the proportions required.

SBS would be the cherry on top.
    It's not in the catching, it's in the learning something new.
    view albums at. http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=659

What about using 2-4 splitshots on a short piece of 20lb mono,that 's what I use.Of course there are other options like a #1 jig on a 0X tippet No SBS required.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfstone View Post
    What about using 2-4 splitshots on a short piece of 20lb mono,that 's what I use.Of course there are other options like a #1 jig on a 0X tippet No SBS required.
    I have used shot in the past, but have found that in certain venues the shot actually causes the hook ups.

I also find that it is quicker and easier to change to a different weight fly than to try and remove or add shot.

Forgot to add , 0X tippet ????? I don't use any X tippet on the Vaal. unless it's winter and I'm dry flying. Then it's 3X.
    Summer I go with JockO, 5.5 kg Maxima Ultragreen for leader and tippets/droppers.
    Last edited by Herman Jooste; 03-11-08 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    I have used shot in the past, but have found that in certain venues the shot actually causes the hook ups.

I also find that it is quicker and easier to change to a different weight fly than to try and remove or add shot.

Forgot to add , 0X tippet ????? I don't use any X tippet on the Vaal. unless it's winter and I'm dry flying. Then it's 3X.
    Summer I go with JockO, 5.5 kg Maxima Ultragreen for leader and tippets/droppers.
    so you dont use tappered leaders? or do you use them and just use the Maxima for tippet??

Copper John's
    Rubber Leg John's
    Jumbo John's
    Jigs

Hope that helps Oom

G

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Thats building gut, you can fish a lighter Maxima, it will hold up!
    I'm sure it would Darryl.

My "kick" however comes from the hook up. Once hooked I want that fish released ASAP. 5.5kg Maxima allows me to really bully the fish into the hand or net quickly.
    With any SM, if the fight is longer than 5 minutes then it is too long, that is where I'm at in my fishing at this stage of my life.

My joy comes from from the take, ( got ya, got ya Mr fish ) especially SM on dry in winter, when you are the only one on the river.

Numbers of fish are inconsequential ( sp ). The challenge to me now is , different waters, difficult waters, and fast becoming an obsession, small stream yellows.

CJ's are good control flies, tungsten beads and under thorax lead in addition to the copper wire makes for a good weight to bulk ratio, but if i's supposed to get my other flies down, I skip the rubber legs and doodads, plain jane CJ tied as slim as possible.

One og my biggest SM on the Vaal was taken on a HUGE #8 CJ, I still rate she mistook it for a Mosquito fish.
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Herman, use your 5.5Kg, bully those fish !
    "Hierdie drol het baie vlieŽ" - Ago 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Herman,

Maxima is underated. What I mean by this is 5.5kg Maxima "Ultragreen" is really around 6.2kg or even 6.5kg.
    So what I'm saying is that you can actually step down your Maxima by one or even 2kg and still be able to achieve your quick release.
    Maxima's downsize is it thickness, you should compare it to other mono brands of the same kg rating.
    Dont get me wrong here, I'm not opening that old can of worms again (Fishing light), we are all pretty clear on each others views, as this has been discussed a gazillion times.
    Do yourselft a favour and just test out what I'm saying.
    Thanks for that Dizz. My toll of Maxima is almost finished. Maybe I should try the 4kg one next. However if it snaps on a prize 6kg+ SM, there is nowhere that you can hide

Ve haf vaays an meens for finding you

Quote Originally Posted by Herman Jooste View Post
    Thanks for that Dizz. My toll of Maxima is almost finished. Maybe I should try the 4kg one next. However if it snaps on a prize 6kg+ SM, there is nowhere that you can hide

Ve haf vaays an meens for finding you
    As I said earlier in another thread I'm fast moving away from a single heavy control fly, but more to tying #12 "controls" tungsten bead ( 3.0 mm ) and 8 wraps of 0.2 mm lead .
    My point and top droppers are tied with no lead but 2mm tungsten beads.

This works perfectly for certain flows. I know however that come Jan it will not work, the whole rig will be too light.

I personally don't like the CJ and would rather tie a prince nymph.

I was thinking more along the lines of a # 10 V rib caddis, with a tail, 15 wraps of .25 lead, thorax and 3.8mm tungsten bead

Oh ya and don't forget the wingcase.

Your views ???????

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast