Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Nymph Style Control Flies ??????

Quote Originally Posted by Loop View Post
    Aaaah Stroft. No-one mentioned Stroft above here...so how would I know to search for "Stroft"????

Besides, have never used it...cannot comment on it.

But it's nice to see the recognition at last!!!!
    Between you and that fast action guy you really are two of our most endearing members.

Stroft has been mentioned before in loads of threads but its tough to find. There are other threads running about this at the moment but the other tippet materials which seem to get decent reviews are rio, froghair, airflo g3 etc.
    Check your knots!

Quote Originally Posted by jock0 View Post
    Between you and that fast action guy you really are two of our most endearing members.

Stroft has been mentioned before in loads of threads but its tough to find. There are other threads running about this at the moment but the other tippet materials which seem to get decent reviews are rio, froghair, airflo g3 etc.
    Is Froghair available here? I've heard about it, never seen it though.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Check Frontiers, in Bryanston. I think they stock it.
    Also, I've seen it at Mias before.
    I'll check it out. I've always used Rio Powerflex, so far so good.
    Also tried Cortland tippet some years ago...very good, but I don't see it around anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    Check Frontiers, in Bryanston. I think they stock it.
    Also, I've seen it at Mias before.
    Frontier definitely have Froghair tippet
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

Bought some there the other day....good stuff....
    Bubble, Bubble, Bubble and Squeak...I think this mixture is too weak!!!???" (Wrex Tarr)

I have tied stone fly paterns as control flies on size 8 hooks and had great succes on them. they can be very heaverly weighted with tungstan beads and plenty of lead and give fantastic results when czech nymphing using them in a new zeland style rig.

Quote Originally Posted by laughs View Post
    I have tied stone fly paterns as control flies on size 8 hooks and had great succes on them. they can be very heaverly weighted with tungstan beads and plenty of lead and give fantastic results when czech nymphing using them in a new zeland style rig.
    Boet...say that again? You mean Czech Nymphing or NZ style?

I agree though...why was Theo Van Niekerks fly so effective...Yet it resembled nothing that Ive seen on the Vaal! I reckon as long as its "buggy", and to size, yellows will take them.

He means czech nymphing, or any other short line technique for that matter, with only two flies - the CJ in front with a short piece of line tied from the CJ's hook shank to the bottom fly. Its also called "truck and trailer" if I remember correctly?
    Check your knots!

On this topic, I've just tied (under the waning moon's light at 3 ayem!) a few hydropsyche caddis larvae using my bulk bought Gamakatsu 3313F size 10 carp hooks. These are chemically-sharpened, built for big fish and have a good bit of weight and to me are an ideal alternative to our standard expensive 'scud' fly hooks.Onto this I've smeared some Rio tungsten putty as an underbody. To me all in all a very cheap method using quality brands. This putty''s very pliable and won't make 'klunk' noises against the rocks like goldbeads. Onto this I've added some Auntie Sally and used some bleached ginger squirrel dubbing as the body with a bit of dark brown squirrel dubbing as the thorax. Simply tie off and trim dubbing to shape. Each fly takes a couple of minutes to tie and you can make them as heavy as you want whilst still maintaining a slim natural profile. Will test them out later. Will be interesting to see what they look like in the sunlight!! More importantly, what the fish think of them..
    The more you know, the less you need (Aboriginal Australian proverb)

Only dead fish swim with the stream (Malcolm Muggeridge)

New day new innovation.

Maybe they should construct it of tungsten then we can weight our flies less.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6