Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Go to salt fly

Default Go to salt fly

Good day.

Ok, like most if the inland folk the holiday fever is starting to get the better of me, I am starting to envisage the foamy water and a huge basket strapped to my waist and then what??

Surely there must be go to fly’s like the GRHE, Wooly Bugger, PTN are for fresh water.

I was thinking along these lines.

Crazy Charlie in chartreuse and green, on #4 hooks maybe up to 1/0
    A prawn of shrimp pattern
    A couple of clauzer’s (sp) white/green and white/grey
    Flipper (any suggestion on colour would be great)
    Small popper (colour ?)

Maybe we should start a thread with a poll on the salt fly that has taken the most fish?

Thank you.

Wink

My list would be:

1. Salty Bugger (in various colours and sizes, the "go-to" flies)
    2. Clousers
    3. Deceivers
    4. Crazy Charlies

The rest are backups...but the above ones are the first to try, in my opinion.

for the clousers try blue/white, pink/white as well..
    for the flipper white, green maybe yellow?

a couple of surf candies maybe?
    Charlies varied colours lean towards the naturals.. olive,tan,pink?

Oh yes and salty buggers..

Hope this helps a bit

Cheers
    Dieter
    I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Hi Abraham

i would say in order

Crazy Charlies Sizes 6,4,2,1 Chartreuse, white, orange,Pink
    Clousers Sizes 4,2,1,1/0,2/0 Chartreuse/white,Pink/white, white
    Salty Buggers Sizes 6,4,2,1 Chartreuse,white,orange
    Flippers Sizes 2,1,1/0,2/0 White

Gully flies eg small baitfish patterns work very well

Where and when will you be fishing ?

Cheers

Adrian
    Last edited by Adrian; 06-11-08 at 12:45 PM.
    "My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

What do you want to catch?? That is the million dollar question. You cant just hit the surf and hope something will eat your fly...Where will you be fishing and what weight rod will you take, you just cant cast a 2/0 or 3/0 clouser with a 6wt.

But for the basics...Leeries, Skipjack, Shad and maybe cob.

No1: Clousers - #2 to 1/0 in Chartreuse over white and olive over white. Pink and yellow are also good, but Chartreuse my 1st choice.

No2: Saltybugger - #6 - 1/0 with beadchain eyes. White and white with chartreuse tail. or plain Chartreuse.

No3: Flipper - #2 - 2/0 on longshank hooks and in white only

I have never caught anything on a Deciever but its a good fly to have. And have some Charlies for the gully fish.

Hope we could help but the abouve questions are import to get the best possible answer.

Dewald
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by deewy View Post

I have never caught anything on a Deciever but its a good fly to have.....

Ditto

If you are fishing Zululand for 3* pompano, sand coulored Charlys #1 with some pronounced orange (slow on a full sinking line). Fishing the surf coulors are not THAT importent, but what I can tell you (what I found) do not use "One Coulor" flies especialy if you imatate baitfish in bright clear conditions.

For genaral fishing I have mostly Clousers and Charlies, and then some other patterns just as spice
    There is not a single bad person on earth, only persons that have been badly influenced.

If you would like to be better person, remove the things that have a negative influence on you TODAY.

Thanx Guy's.

Dewald, what I want to catch well anything will do.... I will be fishing Haroldsbaai and surrounds. I have a 9 wt rod as well as a 5 wt. Was thinking of scraching in the gullies with my 5 wt for blacktail and other small fish and trying the surf for cob, shad and leeries. If I find an esturie I was thinking of trying for grunter on the prawn beds.

I have never fished the coast and have also not been in Haroldsbaai, so I have no idea what to expect with regards to fishing spots.

I have sent you a pm.

But just for the rest who might read this tread...

Haroldsbay is VERY flyfishing unfriendly and you will mostlikely lose or badly damage a flyline. During the day the beach is way to busy to even try and fly fish. The clifs on either side has very good deepwater next to it, but is very very dangerous. Stick to the estuaries, your chances of catching fish is so much better.

Grunter...your chances are very limited over the holidays as most of the grunter spots will be full of holiday makers either swiming or skiing.

Cob in the surf...can be done, but serious hard work and the chance of going home empty handed is a given. If you dont know the surf and what to look for you will just wast your time and have a stiff arm the next day, not good for drinking beer on the beach oggeling the babes

Next thing, dont even try any of the surf spots without atleast an intermediate.

Well good luck and hope to see some pics.

Dewald
    Photography Rules!
    www.dewaldkirsten.co.za

Default Clousers and charlies

After my brief trip to the local tackle shops in Bloem (brief due to the lack of stock) I have the following options to tie my clousers and charlies with.

I have all the white material I need, these options are for the chartreuse or green I will need.

Marabou
    Dyed bucktail
    Polar fiber
    Flashbou

Witch one will be best. I understand I may have to get two of the above. Any tips or advice will be helpfull.

If I understand you correctly.....you can choose 2 of the materials? I would go with the bucktail and flashabou. I find Marabou wraps a bit and you gotta have a bit of flash.
    Behold the fisherman. he riseth early in the morning and disturbeth the whole household. mighty are his preperations. he goes forth full of hope and when the day is ended, he returneth smelling of strong drink and the truth is not with him. originator unknown.

my stuff.... http://www.flytalk.co.za/forum/album.php?u=824[/SIZE]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast